Bromine testing

Mar 2, 2013
Pool Size
I've been using bromine since I started in may 2000. I have not seen a good test using Taylor kits for our pool in a while. We drained and refilled a month ago.
The reagents show positives in the Spa, so I know they're good.
I have tried the dillution method (using 10 ml in the comparator ) and adding tap water without getting a reading. The feeder is empty of tablets, so I know I should have bromine in the pool.​
This is a 20000 gallon pool with relatively very low use. We might have 20 people in the pool throughout the week.The water has become CLOUDED again, and I am helpless.​
I am a maintenence man in a 250 apartment highrise, and I have only had this issue going on in the past 6 months. The system has been fine for 23 years.​
In the past someone suggested that I stop using bromine. I'm in a retirement community run by a large corporation, bromine is suitable because of its low odor properties.​

Last edited:
This forum is focused on residential pool owners and chlorine use in their pools. Bromine use has been too problemmatic and we recommend residential pools be converted to chlorine.

We will be of limited help to you but maybe one of our experts like @JoyfulNoise @JamesW can point you in the right direction.

Are you using FAS-DPD?

Use FAS DPD and test for free and combined chlorine/bromine.

Is the pool indoors or outdoors?

Maybe the reagent is bleaching out?

Try OTO reagent to verify if you have bromine or no bromine.

What are all chemistry readings?

I would suggest chlorine instead of bromine.

If the pool is indoors, a Commercial Grade UV system will help address the chloramine issues, which are what cause the "Chlorine" smell.