Pool and Spa Thermometer with wireless Temperature Sensor

I have a laboratory mercury thermometer, but most mercury thermometers are pretty accurate. Remember high school physics - you can check it by placing it in water with ice (should read 32F) and in boiling distilled water at sea level (not a problem for me in Florida, and it should read 212F). Then you can check everything by that. My wireless is 1 degree colder than I measure with the lab thermometer.

Bama Rambler said:
Just to add, while I was fooling with it in the house it matched both the digital thermometers I have in there, so either they're all right or they're all wrong by the same amount. I have a NIST traceable rtd & meter so I guess now I'll have to compare them. Dang Y'all making me do extra work!

I would not even bother. Sounds like they are pretty accurate. :party: :whoot: :cheers:

I've found that mine keeps turning over easily. When the kids jump in, it is going over. But then I came home last night and found it upside down and no one was in the pool. Probably from the spa waterfall. Anyway, I put some heavy stainless bolts and nuts inside at the bottom and that should help a bit.

Well I've found the same thing! It appears to be a little top heavy. It was reading 86º when I got home yesterday and I happened to look at it last night and it was reading 63º after the GK's got out, I thought, what the heck! I went out to the pool and there it was, bottom up. And you can't just take the pole and flip it back upright, nooooo, you have to gently place it upright. I'll be adding some counter-weight as soon as I figure out what will work.

I checked with Chaney Instruments (Lake Geneva, WI), who owns/distributes Accu-Rite. This unit is exclusive to Home Depot (HD) and doesn't appear on-line with HD, so you have to go to a brick-and-mortar HD store. In Cedar Rapids, IA I discovered that they don't carry it, have no plans to order it, and the same is true for all their stores in the midwest (e.g., Des Moines, Chicago, etc, etc). The HD person helping speculated that it is particular to their 'warm weather markets.' So, they found that store #0485 in Phoenix has 4 (3 now :p ). The HD item number is 484367. They agreed to ship one to my home address for a grand total out-the-door of $32 and change. That store's phone number is 623-849-0125 (try extension 383, Eliza was most helpful and gracious) in case anyone else here in the midwest would like one.

My wife is excited to know the pool temp from inside the house. I'm excited to use the charting function to learn more about the effectiveness of my solar panel system, effects of night-time cooling, the effect of the solar cover, etc (I am a scientist by profession, after all).

kelly

kjcole said:
I'm excited to use the charting function to learn more about the effectiveness of my solar panel system, effects of night-time cooling, the effect of the solar cover, etc (I am a scientist by profession, after all).

kelly

Its OK for that. It only can show you every 2 degree change.
You can get temperature data loggers - about the size of a thumb drive that you can set up to record temp every minute, hour, etc. I used one for my attic to chart temperatures to see if the ridge vents made any difference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
lborne said:
no-mas said:
I put mine in the skimmer. It naturally floats at the opening anyway, so may as well have it out of sight.

I thought of that, but then wondered if the water in there would heat up a little when the pump was off due to the cover.

I thought the same thing, except I pretty much am running the pump all day long throughout the season. In any event, I've detected no warming while the pool is off. I've had it installed barely a week, though, and I don't pay THAT much attention to it...

lborne said:
I've found that mine keeps turning over easily. When the kids jump in, it is going over. But then I came home last night and found it upside down and no one was in the pool. Probably from the spa waterfall. Anyway, I put some heavy stainless bolts and nuts inside at the bottom and that should help a bit.

You all are correct in that it tips over somewhat. Our pool is a Spool (Social pool ) so there is no jumping in :-D Putting a weight on the inside would be a great idea :cheers: I use it to see how my new solar is working and have logs for the last 2 weeks. It was 92 degrees and I set the solar at 90 degrees. :party: :whoot: :cheers:

I picked up one the other day at HD. They had only three. I'm putting the batteries in tonight. I have my other floating "analog" thermometer in the skimmer to keep it from getting rescued and then killed by the doggies so I'm going to put it in the skimmer. Besides that, the way the Aquabot tries to come out of the pool it might just eat the gadget.

BTW... speaking of. The other night I had the Aquabot sitting about 8 ft from edge of pool, plugged in, with control box on but plugged into a timer. I forgot to turn control box switch off. When timer switched power on Aquabot dude turned on, crawled over the the pool, and jumped in on his own accord. :shock: :lol:

gg=alice

FYI, :rant: please make sure that you tighten the screws :hammer: firmly on the floating thermometer. I woke up this am and found that my indoor reading was 158Deg. I thought well this is really a cheap thermometer and did not even last 30days. Upon opening the thermometer I found water and moisture in it. :( No problem I took it back to HD and they gave me a new one :party:

Weight for Pool and Spa Thermometer

Since there was a problem with the thermometer tipping over I wanted to come up with a weight. After looking around in the shop for a stainless steel nut or washers, I found a brass NPT to Hose thread adaptor. It was the perfect size and weight. It slipped right over the probe end and easily fit inside the outer housing. The unit sits only a bit lower in the water and will automatically right itself if tipped over.

I believe a 5/8" stainless steel nut will work as well.

Re: Weight for Pool and Spa Thermometer

Bama Rambler said:
Since there was a problem with the thermometer tipping over I wanted to come up with a weight. After looking around in the shop for a stainless steel nut or washers, I found a brass NPT to Hose thread adaptor. It was the perfect size and weight. It slipped right over the probe end and easily fit inside the outer housing. The unit sits only a bit lower in the water and will automatically right itself if tipped over.

I believe a 5/8" stainless steel nut will work as well.

Can you post a pic? I would be interested in this as I frequently find my thermometer upsidedown.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.