Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brisket Advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Brisket Advice

We recently butchered a steer, and have a brisket that's just begging for a trip to the smoker. Even though we raise cattle, I've always been partial to pork on the smoker. Anybody have any advice on how to proceed?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brisket Advice

I have always had good luck putting on a nice dry rub, loading in the smoker for 2-3 hours, then removing from the smoker, wrapping in aluminun foil and slow roasting it in the oven for a minimum of 4 hours at 275. I have not had good luck trying to smoke until tender, it usually burns before it gets tender enough or is dry as a boot after a day in the smoker. I ALWAYS add sauce after cooking. OH, one last thing you probably already know, never trim excess fat until after cooking.
    Matt
    20,000 gallon, sand filter, IG vinyl

3. Back To Top    #3

John,

I basically follow this:

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef ... isket.html

I usually don't use the Texas Crutch but if do, I find it easier to just put in the oven to finish it off.

I trim it, dry rub it, smoke it at 225 till 190-205 degrees. I only apply smoke for the first two hours. Comes out nice, juicy and tender every time.

dave
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

4. Back To Top    #4

Check out my first couple of posts in this thread for an awesome rub recipe and some brisket cooking tips.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Dave and Sean!

A lot of similarities between the article linked and Sean's method. Not all that different from the way I do pork shoulder now. I just wanted some guidelines so I know I'm in the ballpark on cooking time and prep. I'll have to roll out pretty early Saturday morning to have it ready for supper, but having it on the smoker while I'm in the pool or doing yard work just makes it taste that much better.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat