Pump bonding questions

Jun 23, 2016
Monterrey, Mexico
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello guys, as some of you know I live in Mexico, so pool building codes are not clear

I'm in the process of finishing my inground pool and now I need to know about bonding the pool pump to the bonding grid

all of my equipment and electrical connections are In a closed cement machine room about 20 feet away from the closest inner wall of the pool

I have already bonded the wet light niche to the rebar

But my question is if I have to bond the transformer of the light and the pool pump to the bonding grid even though both are 20 feet away from the pool

Being English my second language I get a bit confused about the NEC code

Thank you for your help

Article 680.26 details the bonding requirements for permanently installed swimming pools in order to “eliminate voltage gradients in the pool area as prescribed.” Bonding the metallic parts in and around the pool area prevents differences of potential from developing in the event of an electrical equipment fault and reduces the possibility of electric shock. The area created by bonding the metallic parts together is known as an equipotential plane.

The NEC requires bonding all of the following metallic parts in a permanently installed swimming pool with a #8 AWG solid or larger conductor.

Equipotential Bonding of Permanently Installed Swimming Pools

• Concrete reinforcing steel and all metallic structural components. Uncoated reinforcing steel and all other metallic structures.
• Underwater lighting. All metallic parts (housings and mounting brackets). This includes the transformers.
• Metal fittings. Metal fittings for pipes, drains and water inlets.
• Electrical equipment. All metal parts of any electrical equipment associated with the pool including pumps and recirculating equipment, heaters and blowers and automatic covers.
• Metallic tubing and conduit, metal-sheathed cable, metal piping and all fixed metal parts.

In addition to metal wiring methods and equipment, any component within 5’ horizontally and 12’ vertically from the water must be bonded.

Info taken from Eritech at erico.com

The idea of bonding the pump or heater has nothing to do with distance from the pool. They are electric devices directly connected to the pool and should be bonded to the pool regardless of distance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.