No bonding wire - mitigating risk?

Firebrand

Apr 20, 2020
Austin, TX
Hi,

Discovered the other day that my pump does not have a bonding wire attached and since my pool is over 20 years old, there has likely been no bonding done at all.
My question is this - without bonding, how much safer is it to just have the pump off while people are swimming in the pool?

P.s. I am doing my best to have an expert come out, but until I can find someone good I would like to know how I can best mitigate the risk.

I really appreciate your answers,
Alex

My question is this - without bonding, how much safer is it to just have the pump off while people are swimming in the pool?

Makes no difference.

Equipotential bonding is to protect people around the pool from electrical shocks from stray currents in the ground.

Those stray currents usually come from sources other then the pool equipment.

If your pool is to code with GFCI protection the GFCI will prevent any current leakage from your equipment.

Check for continuity between things that should be bonded like the light and the grab rails.

Check for continuity between the two handrails.

full

Thank you for that answer @ajw22 ! So, until I have proper bonding installed, is there anything I can do or look out for in order to mitigate some of the danger?

Bond what you can.

How far away is the pump from the pool?

What other equipment do you have that should be bonded together?

Bond the pool water to the pump bonding loop with a device like:
  • the Burndy BWB680AGRK Waterbug Pool Water Bonding Kit. You drill a hole through your skimmer and install it there.
  • the Perma-Cast PB2008 Water Bonding Fitting PB-2008 in the pipe going to the pump on a tee fitting

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.