Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG backflush question

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG backflush question

When I backflush, I run a flat hose out to the front lawn to discharge the water. If I were to go to a SWG system would I still be able to discharge onto the lawn, or would the salt content wreck the grass?
    16 x 32 IG plaster pool, 23k gallons, built 1992, DE filter, Pentair VS pump, IoThyngs controller, Taylor 2006 test kit, SoCal water restrictions
    Newbies with green pools, see SLAM and Recommended Test Kits. My company: IoThyngs

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG backflush question

My backflush pvc pipe leads directly into a dry creek. The dry creek is full of green living plants of unknown parentage. The salt hasn't slowed them down a bit. <shrug>
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

What type of grass is it? How much rainfall do you get in a year? The effects of discharging pool water and increasing the sodicity of the soil depends a lot on how much rainfall you expect to get as well as the soil type (loamy, clay/loam, sandy, etc). Every plant is different but many types of plants can handle excess sodium and calcium as long as the soil pH isn't too high.

See some of this literature

http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FS...dpmstn9328.pdf

4. SODIC SOILS AND THEIR MANAGEMENT
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

We're in Southern California, which is slowly coming out of a long drought. We've got Bermuda grass that looks fantastic when everything's well watered. Currently it's mostly dead, but I'm more concerned about the effects when it's growing well.

Thanks for the links, I'll check those out.
    16 x 32 IG plaster pool, 23k gallons, built 1992, DE filter, Pentair VS pump, IoThyngs controller, Taylor 2006 test kit, SoCal water restrictions
    Newbies with green pools, see SLAM and Recommended Test Kits. My company: IoThyngs