SWG not producing chlorine? Help!

I will suggest once more that if you intend to have your party day after tomorrow, understanding your SWG is not your priority.

You need some chlorine in your pool RIGHT NOW.
. I can do both. [emoji5] As soon as I saw your first post I immediately went and added the chlorine I had on hand (1 full gallon and about a quart in another jug) and sent my hubby to the store to pick up 5 more gallons to have on hand. I will keep my FC above 6! I promise. [emoji5]

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Minimum is 5, target 7... Until you get a handle on the swg

I thought I had everything printed! I'll print this and add it to my pool binder for quick reference. Update: I DO have this printed! I didn't realize that the Shock FC level is also the max you can safely swim. Good to know!!

CL is not in the Abbreviations and Definitions section on TFP. Maybe it should be added?

I'll look again for bubbles tomorrow during the day. Are they pretty obvious or are they subtle? Right now they'd have to be dang near microscopic because there isn't anything bubbling. Is it right where it comes out of the return that the bubbles are seen?

If there aren't any... What does that mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your pool schedule turns the pool pump off at 7:00 pm. So it won't be making chlorine after 7:00 pm. If it's in a spa mode, production is stopped or scaled way back. I think that in spa mode, the production is 1/20th of pool mode.

For example, if pool mode is 80%, spa mode would be 4%.

The bubbles are very tiny and hard to see. However, once you know what they look like, they're pretty easy to see.

TM, once you get your FC up to where it needs to be with the bleach, then you can play with the percentage adjustments on the salt cell to see what works for you to maintain that level. But your first priority is to get the FC up. I only have to keep mine at 15% but I also don't have a high bather load either. You will probably want to bump the FC up even more with all those kids on Saturday. And then check it after they leave because you'll probably need to add more bleach.

Oh, and get some chlorine in that pool!

Good job on the chlorine.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Current test is:

PH 7.8
FC 6.8
CYA 55 (PB tested previously)

I still don't see any bubbles coming out of the returns. Is my PB going to laugh at me when I tell him I don't think my SWG is working properly because I don't see bubbles? Lol

Do I basically just keep checking my FC levels to make sure they are being maintained without my needing to add more liquid?

Hold a skimmer net in front of the return. If there are bubbles, they will collect on the net so that you can see them.

I have never seen those bubbles in my pool, but if I stand near the SWG when it is running (as noted by the current being on) I can hear the sound of the bubbles being pushed into the piping. It is a different sound than when the SWG is off, sort of a swishing sound.

The pool party was awesome! Thank you for helping me get the pool chemistry right for it!

At 9:00 in the morning the FC tested at 5.4 so we added a 1/2 gallon of chlorine. I tested again that night after all swimming was done and FC was 4.4 so we added 1 gallon of chlorine. Around 1:00p today the FC level was 8.4 and the CC was 0. We just added some MA to drop the pH back in range but that's all.

I'll test again in the morning but does it seem right that we've added over 3 gallons of liquid chlorine since we turned on the SWG last Monday? Any specific questions I should ask my PB?

Perhaps in your time reading here at TFPs you missed folks advise new pool owners that its best to add the salt to the water and wait a day or two before turning on the SWG. Your first post here seems to imply that your PB did it all in one step. I wonder if that might have affected the SWG in some way?

What was your FC level before they started up the SWG? As others have said above, a SWG is best thought of a device to maintain your FC as it works so slowly.

Perhaps in your time reading here at TFPs you missed folks advise new pool owners that its best to add the salt to the water and wait a day or two before turning on the SWG. Your first post here seems to imply that your PB did it all in one step. I wonder if that might have affected the SWG in some way?

What was your FC level before they started up the SWG? As others have said above, a SWG is best thought of a device to maintain your FC as it works so slowly.

I'm pretty sure he did do it all at once. He came when I wasn't here so I didn't see what he did exactly.

My FC level before he added it had dropped to a 1. I asked if he added chlorine but he told me he didn't need to - that the SWG would start producing it. I've added 3 gallons of liquid bleach throughout the week and we're still experiencing drops in the FC level with a CYA of 60.

The status of the IC40 is all good. No errors reporting. I'm still concerned though since we've been having to manually add the bleach.

I wonder if because your FC was low to begin with, if you're not experiencing a nascent algae bloom?

Can you perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (with the SWG off) to determine if you're losing FC to organics? Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Yes, I'll look it up and do that. Thanks!

Will I need to do a full slam if so or will bring the chlorine levels up nice and high for a bit fix the problem? My PB is still technically in charge.

Raise the FC up a bit with bleach, do the OCLT tonight and first thing tomorrow before the sun hits the water, and see how you fare. Just make sure the SWG is off overnight.

Then tomorrow morning we'll see where we are...ok?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.