Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: forward negative edge

1. Back To Top    #1

forward negative edge

Has anyone installed a pool with a forward negative edge? If so, how did it turn out? Was it worth the extra money?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: forward negative edge

Not me, but I think they are crazy awesome, give you a bonus kiddie pool and would love to see you build one (so I can watch).
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I think it depends on what you want to see and what your background looks like. As an example, you would most likely not have an infinity edge look. You will see the 12" or so of the ledge because it will angled down into the pool. My background was water so I wanted to appear as if water was going over the infinity edge into the bigger body of water.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I was hoping your pool would show up here Martin. That first picture you posted is my favorite so far...
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you, your pool and view is amazing. I do not have a water view so I would see the negative edge, edge would be in the deep end of pool(left to right) not front to back. If that makes any sense at all and the PB was using that as a cool water feature. But said it cost 25K. If no edge, we could do a out of ground pool wall and put stools in pool and stools out of the pool for a little bar area. We are working with a slight slope so trying to come up with cool ideas besides just making it flat with walls/dirt. I actually want to use it.

6. Back To Top    #6

lucas33
    For what its worth, the $25k is a reasonable cost for this feature. They are actually adding a (mini pool) or holding tank for the water to circulate through. It should have its own variable speed pump to control flow over the infinity edge. The more flow, the higher the noise of the water falling below. If you have children, they could use this for a smaller pool. You could put bar stools in the holding tank and use the wall for a table. You could do a number of different things if you want to incur the additional cost.
    If not, I have added a couple of pictures of the feature I have on both sides of the raised walls of my pool. They are mini water falls on either side of the pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    I was hoping your pool would show up here Martin. That first picture you posted is my favorite so far...
    Thanks, but your pool and landscaping was fantastic!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    Not me, but I think they are crazy awesome, give you a bonus kiddie pool and would love to see you build one (so I can watch).
    The catch basin is usually not designed for use by swimmers and should not be used by swimmers unless specifically designed for that purpose. The suction is usually all main drains and a big pump which creates a safety hazard for swimmers.

9. Back To Top    #9

We did one with a channel drain that I did design for small swimmers. The suction is dispersed through three 2" pipes along the channel and I feel quite comfortable with the setup. The toddlers and our small dog love it and the basin faces our house.

basin today.jpg

Good luck on your project. Cheers.

Jaimee
    Building
    4.5K gal in-ground, 876 gal spa in-ground
    negative edge, raised perimeter, 4' depth
    limestone coping, fine pebble plaster with abalone shell, sand filter, propane heater
    My pool build thread: 91265-Jaimee-s-Owner-Builder-Pool-AZ

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post
    We did one with a channel drain that I did design for small swimmers. The suction is dispersed through three 2" pipes along the channel and I feel quite comfortable with the setup. The toddlers and our small dog love it and the basin faces our house.

basin today.jpg

Good luck on your project. Cheers.

Jaimee
    Great solution Jaimee. I have 3 drains in mine to also alleviate any issues with suction.