Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Controlling fc

1. Back To Top    #1

Controlling fc

I have recently started the bbb method. Had some issues with pool but finally at a good place since following this site. I've quit using my inline chlorinator. My problem is keeping chlorine levels up during the day. I can start out fine, at 7, in the morning but will lose all of that during the day. The temperature here is over 90 everyday with most days having a high humidity. Here are my numbers as of this morning...
    fc-7
    cc-0
    ph-7.5
    ta-110
    ch-200
    cya-40

I have dealt with a lot of algae this year. And it seems like if my fc gets to 3, my water will start getting a greenish tint to it. Very slightly. So I've tried keeping my fc at the higher end at 7. It will hold overnight but drop drastically during the day. Is it worth putting more chlorine in the pool in the mornings before leaving home? Or just let it drop to almost zero by the time I get home?
    21k gal, AG vinyl Radiant pool, 1.5 hp whisperflo pump, 24" sand filter, inline chlorinator,
    Installed 2012, no well water or water restrictions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Controlling fc

Your CYA is fairly low - you can expect any FC level above 4ppm to burn off fairly quickly due to the sun. You could try raising your CYA slightly to see if that helps. Take it slow - try 50, then maybe 60.

If it were me - before I did that I would SLAM the pool one more time. Just to make sure there isn't anything luring in there.
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Controlling fc

Thanks! Will do!
    21k gal, AG vinyl Radiant pool, 1.5 hp whisperflo pump, 24" sand filter, inline chlorinator,
    Installed 2012, no well water or water restrictions.