Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae at waterline

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae at waterline

Hello everyone, I've been a lurker on this forum ever since I learned I'd be moving to southern Arizona (and likely becoming a pool person). We just moved here and are living in a rental that comes with a small pool. It is an in-ground pebbletec pool with a Baja shelf, perfect for kids (we have a bunch). The landlord pays for a pool service that comes once a week. I have been unable to catch them in the act yet, but it looks like they empty the skimmer basket, and add pucks to the floating chlorine dispenser. Given the amount of time they spend at each visit, I don't believe they brush the walls or skim leaves though I might be mistaken. There is a pool cleaner the "kreepy" I believe that runs every day for about 6hrs when the pump comes on. One skimmer, two main drains at the deep end, and maybe a half dozen return nozzles.

My question is about algae on the tile at the waterline. There are scattered spots of green all around the pool. I have purchased a stainless steel pool brush and tried to scrub it off with almost no success. There is also a patch on the Baja shelf floor that also gets green but it turns into a cloud and dissappears with one push of the brush.

I have read about the perils of pucks as the sole source of chlorine with the rising/unmanageable CYA. I'm a bit worried the CYA will be sky high. I don't know any of the current water parameters. I have a Taylor 2006 test kit on the way, should be here next week. The landlord doesn't know when or if the pool was ever drained and refilled and refers all questions about the pool to the pool service guy who hasn't responded yet to my texts.

So, how would you folks approach the green algae at the waterline? Why doesn't it brush off like the other green on the Baja shelf?

This rental is a trial of sorts to see if our family likes having a pool enough to spend the extra time and money it takes when we buy our permanent home in this city. It has been great to cool off in the pool on these hot days.

Any thoughts? I've learned so much reading this forum. Thanks in advance

Edit:
    Forgot to mention, the water itself is crystal clear

~15,000 gallons, in ground, pebble tec finish, pentair cartridge filter, automatic pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae at waterline

Welcome to TFP!

It still says TN over there <----

You can spray some bleach on the spots to help kill it. Once the test kit arrives it will be time to SLAM to kill the algae.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

If its at the water line or higher than you'll have to scrub them off using a non scratching pumice stone, especially on the grout. You can get them at pool stores, home depot, Ace hardware. I'm sure Walmart sells them. The steel bushes don't do much on the grout.

I prefer to use Ace's..
    15,000 ig, pebble tech,sand filter,remodeled in 2007. Glendale, Az
    TF100 w SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

test kit came in the mail.

results as follows:
    pH: 7.0
    FC: 9.5 (10mL sample vol)
    CC: 0.5
    TA: 80
    CH: 570

CYA: 240ish + (first test was >100ppm in undiluted sample, 2nd test with a 3x dilution: could not see dot at around the 80 line)

RRgh. As I suspected the CYA is off the chart. They must have an algaecide in there as the water itself is clear, just some green in the grout lines.

Draining the pool 75% and refilling would cost about $250 in water plus it jacks up the rate per gallon for all our other water use. I care less about the money than the idea of dumping water in the desert (Tucson) which feels like an irresponsible waste.
    Anyone had experience getting reverse osmosis done in Tucson area?
    ~15,000 gallons, in ground, pebble tec finish, pentair cartridge filter, automatic pool cleaner