Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA and PH

1. Back To Top    #1

TA and PH

If my pool consistently runs a high ph (I have to add muriatic acid once to twice a week) do I care if my TA is a little low? I just measured my TA at 90. If I let me TA continue to drop will it keep my ph from going up as much?
    In ground 30,000 gallon rectangular plaster/pebble pool, hot tub with blower, 2 HP Pentair WisperFlo Single Speed Pump, 420 Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, Pentair Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, Easy Touch Control System, Pentair 400K BTU heater, Interfab G Force Slide with dedicated 1 HP pump, Travertine Decking, CoverStar automatic pool cover

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: TA and PH

A lower TA is ideal to prevent pH rise.

Why do you think that a TA of 90 is low? A low TA isn't an issue until it falls below 50.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

3. Back To Top    #3

Brain is right on but I have to ask, what are you using for chlorine?
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    Brain is right on but I have to ask, what are you using for chlorine?
    Using bleach. Following TFP as closely as I can. My pool builder put in the chlorinator before I knew better. It has been empty for a year now.

The only reason I thought a TA of 90 was low was the TFP kit I got says ideal is 100-120 for chlorine pools. So 50 is really my basement as long as my pH doesn't reverse course on me and start going too low?

Thanks
    In ground 30,000 gallon rectangular plaster/pebble pool, hot tub with blower, 2 HP Pentair WisperFlo Single Speed Pump, 420 Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, Pentair Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, Easy Touch Control System, Pentair 400K BTU heater, Interfab G Force Slide with dedicated 1 HP pump, Travertine Decking, CoverStar automatic pool cover

5. Back To Top    #5

The 100-120 is ideal for pools that are chlorinated with pucks because the pucks are acidic and they tend to drive the pH down. Bleach is not acidic and it helps to keep the TA lower to help prevent the pH from rising too quickly. You want to keep the TA between 70-90 for the most part if you are using bleach for the chlorine. I would only let the TA go down to 50 if the pH will not stabilize and you have 50ppm of borates added to the pool.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process