Digital tester

None.

Digital meters are fancy but must be calibrated and the calibration verified frequently. A pH meter perhaps, but no other digital meter is worth the hassle and cost.

Test strips are useless for anything but the single strips for testing salt concentration.

I bought a $15 test kit on amazon when I bought my house 3 months ago. I took water samples to the pool store in the beginning and quickly realized that they are hacks. So they always told me that my levels were good except for the first time they had me add alkalinity stuff, at least I think thats what it was, because at the time I was totally unaware of what was going on. So now I have my cheap test kit that tests Free Chlorine, Total chlorine, and PH. My issue is this, I never add chlorine, the guy at the store sold me granules and told me to add half a cup to the deep end every other day and take measurements and adjust up or down from there. But I quickly realized that was too much. He also told me to shock my pool once a week, again way too much. So every measurement of Chlorine that I take is above the top of the scale or so it seems. My test kit says to add four drops of the solution to the tube invert a few time and check immediately. I don't know what to do. I go sometimes 7 days without adding any chlorine, and my levels are still high. I have been shocking my pool once every 2 weeks, but I have not been adding any chlorine at all recently. Whats going on?

It sounds like you need to take control of your own pool and stop relying on the pool store advice. Have you read the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry? The first step in taking control of your pool is to order a proper test kit. The TF-100 from tftestkits.net is the best bang for your buck and has all the tests you need. An accurate home test kit is the most important tool you can ever have for your pool and it saves you the expense and hassle of going to the pool store (which I haven't been to in over 2 years).

Please update your forum signature with details about your pool so you can get better advice from here on. Edit Signature

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.