Pool + Spa in MA

Day 10 - Lights delivered and some copper wire was attached

Not worthy of a photo. Guess we won't be getting gunite on Tuesday since they still have to do plumbing, electrical and get everything inspected. Sigh.

I love the look of tile for table tops. Easy to clean is key! I want to spend my time in the pool, not doing "housework" :)

Thanks for the recommendation. I have been looking at this online and it might be the perfect fit for our dining area. Love that it's recycled and their designs are traditional without being boring or stuffy.

Thanks! Yours is looking great. I love your pavers and may borrow the idea if Travertine doesn't work out. Our PB had suggested Unilock Beacon Hill, but the colors aren't quite right for us. We are located near Worcester so CT is fairly close. They are here today installing the Paramount system. If all goes as planned (ha ha) they will gunite by the end of the week.

Feel free to steal ideas! I'm going to keep lurking on your page to watch your build! Woohoo for throat amount system! I decided to opt out since i would of loved it but also felt it whoever closes out pool and doesn't winterize it correctly we'd have no "vacuum" so I went with the robotic vac but I'm totally jealous!!! There is New England patio & hearth or the classic Kloter Farms (can't go wrong with them!!) check them out [emoji16] I believe they even have a store in Ma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Day 11 - We have plumbing!
b2fe484d8ce484156190f9721f3f9fce.jpg

810f9a9b337d71de74f0829c47286c37.jpg

43e3df7a05e359b2623e1edaa302013a.jpg

I have a stupid question. When do the vertical forms go on for the gunite? Do the gunite people do that the same day that they shoot? Or does it happen before?

Concerned about the weather forecast today (torrential rain) and the potential for our sides to collapse... :(

The good news / bad news about watering the pool is that it has given me the chance to see several things that don't look right to me. I emailed these photos to the PB, but no response yet

Light not centered
d6aedb1f54b5f0d6b66c0e13c8e7e3c0.jpg

Stairs and bench not level
051fd1a0f1973ad545850490e3919b58.jpg

Rebar sticking out
c656bf218e1b91278eea157b4ea2535b.jpg

Less than 10 pounds of pressure
45577f16e3cd284fdaa8a89d4f94805b.jpg

No plumbing for our sheer descent waterfall
3031a9877bbc756c8fe7d03a558a65f1.jpg

I also think the stairs are way too small.

And there's no drain in the hot tub, which seems weird to me.

It is nearly impossible to get a response about anything from our PB and I am beyond furious at the moment. I am no expert, so I am trying to refrain from a complete meltdown until I have more information.

Thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree that the stairs look smaller than the first concept drawing you posted. The level of the step/bench will likely be corrected during plaster by widely tapering the plaster from the step way down along the bench - and if they do it right, you won't even notice it. The light looks just a few inches (maybe 3") off center from the whole pool. What makes it appear rather off center is the bench on the left of the picture. My preference would have been for it to be centered on the deep section. But I certainly would not pursue it at this point. They will just cut the rebar back inside the gunite at plaster time and plaster right over it...no worries there I'd think. Not sure on the other items.

I agree that the stairs look smaller than the first concept drawing you posted. The level of the step/bench will likely be corrected during plaster by widely tapering the plaster from the step way down along the bench - and if they do it right, you won't even notice it. The light looks just a few inches (maybe 3") off center from the whole pool. What makes it appear rather off center is the bench on the left of the picture. My preference would have been for it to be centered on the deep section. But I certainly would not pursue it at this point. They will just cut the rebar back inside the gunite at plaster time and plaster right over it...no worries there I'd think. Not sure on the other items.

Thanks for the reassurances. I thought they could just use the plaster to fix the transition from bench to step, but I wasn't sure if there was a reason why they did it the way they did. And well, once you see one thing wrong, then it's easy to find other wrong things and remember past wrong items, and go down the rabbit hole. Trying to remain calm and optimistic.

I could be wrong but I don't think the waterfall sheer needs to be plumbed since it's going to be the overflow from the spa into the pool..

It's supposed to be just like yours, a sheer descent waterfall, and not an overflow waterfall. We discussed this with the PB on numerous occasions, and how we want to be able to close the pool and still use the hot tub :(

9d696df76ca66b97044923cd50606e6c.png

It looks like the sheer descendent has plumbing when it's put in.. My spillover is based of the air blower and water in the spa.. I think I will like yours better since it will be a much more even flow! But it looks like they did it correct in my opinion but I could be wrong.. I'm a newbie too

It looks like the sheer descendent has plumbing when it's put in.. My spillover is based of the air blower and water in the spa.. I think I will like yours better since it will be a much more even flow! But it looks like they did it correct in my opinion but I could be wrong.. I'm a newbie too

Aah, I see. I don't know why I didn't think to look up installation. Is there such a thing as pool building brain freeze?! LOL

What a neat looking pool! I am just now catching up to this one! Let us know what the PB says when he gets back with you.

Kim:cat:[/QUOTE]

Thanks! The PB says everything is fine. They had someone come out this morning and look at what I had sent them yesterday. I'm still disappointed in the light placement and the size of the stairs, but as long as everything else is fine or fixable, then I will be fine too. Don't have much of a choice...

Just wish there was more communication, or really any communication. And do they really not send someone to check on the work unless the customer complains?! Jeez.

I know this is a dumb question, but what are those pipes sticking up from your steps? In floor cleaner?
Btw, great looking pool!

Thanks! Not a dumb question at all! They are the in floor cleaning system.

Pool is looking good and that is a slick way to plumb in the sheer descent.

May I ask why you are going with an AquaComfort heater? I just installed an AquaCal heater and when doing my research read that AquaComfort may inflate their efficiency numbers as they do not submit to AHRI for testing. I don't want to sound biased, and I'm not, I just feel being in MA the efficiency of a heat pump has more of an affect on how well they work.

Day 19: Removed forms, ran plumbing and electrical

Today is Day 20 and they are here today grading the yard and back-filling. I cannot believe they are here on a Saturday. Amazing! Might need to go buy some lottery tickets, becuase I feel lucky :)

We received the quote yesterday for the remainder of the project. We also received the overage bill for the excavation and ledge removal - $8,210 - OUCH.

So I am back to thinking we should do salted concrete for the patio instead of Travertine. Any thoughts about how this will hold up in New England? Anything specific I should ask the contractor about when I meet with him on Monday?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.