Manchester, CT

DThompson55

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
Manchester, CT
Hi - First day here. A close personal friend recommended this place. There are few things I enjoy less than our pool. It makes me crazy in a way that's hard to explain; In a way that nothing else does. I view it mainly as a disparagingly wet annoyance that sucks up my time and money and demands more of the same without end. So I'm hoping I'll learn something here and come to more peaceful terms with this thing that lives in my backyard.

Welcome. Our first year with a pool our water looked like your avatar, only blue. That was with buying whatever the pool store told us to. Eventually we bought a test kit and now our chemicals come from the grocery store and are a lot cheaper. You won't recognize your pool pretty soon!

Greetings from down Route 2!! I used to live in Manchester. Though I didn't have a pool back then.

The one thing I can tell you as a Baquacil alum and convert is that test strips are inaccurate at best. If you want to clear up your pool, you'll get a proper kit and test it on your own (See the TF-100 link in my signature. If your water looks like your avatar, look into the XL option as well.). Don't get discouraged by the price. It's well worth it and once you get everything under control, it will last you a couple seasons or more.

The second thing I can tell you is that, when you get the hang of this process, you'll drive right by Namco and Leslie's on your way through Buckland Hills Mall without paying either any mind. I Don't even go there anymore for gaskets.

Third, You'll make fast friends with the checkout girls/guys at the Ocean State on Spencer Street. Liquid Chlorine is $2.96/gallon and the product is fresh.

Finally, if you listen to the experts' advice here (I do not include myself in that group, though I like to help where I can), your pool will cease to be the disparaging money and time sucking wet annoyance it had become and will literally transform into the jewel of your back yard. For an example as far as money and time saved following TFPC, Unless I am vacuuming, I spend an average of less than 5 min./day and less than $12/week on pool maintenance.

I got my test kit. Just getting the hang of it. Here are my first readings.

I'm still adding a gallon of bleach every night. My wife thinks we should start adding algaecide, but from what I've been reading here you guys are saying it's a waste of money and maybe worse than that. So I've asked her to hold off for a few more days.

FC 9.5
CC 1
TC 10.5
pH 7.2
TA 80
CH 375
CYA 30

I haven't uses algaecide, phosphate removers, or shocked my pool in the three plus years since I changed over from traditional pool maintenance to the TFP method. I also backwash my filter less with maybe once per season as compared to three time prior to changing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support