Freshly filled - waiting on test kit - what should I add?

Jun 15, 2016
Edmond, Ok
I figured out how to post! Yay! We have been in this home with a pool for 10 years and have winged it the last 10 years. We are finally getting serious about learning proper maintenance. Haha. We just put fresh paint on our plaster and it is now filled with fresh well water. We plan on utilizing the bleaching method to maintain. I just ordered my TF-100 test kit this morning, so it won't arrive until early next week, so I don't have any chemistry info. to list. I'm wondering what products I should add to the fresh well water in the meantime to start things off on the right foot. I called the company this morning that I ordered the kit from and her recommendation was to add 2 gallons of bleach and 2 lb. of cya. After reading the cya bottle, it seems I should add quite a bit more. Can someone please advise on what products to use to get us through the next few days until our kit arrives. Thank you!

I believe my signature is set up correctly, but just in case it's not... We have a 33,000 gallon, in-ground, plaster pool and use a sand filter.

Do you know how to use PoolMath yet? Here is a tutorial:Pool School - PoolMath

Your water will have no CYA in it. Add to 25 ppm, no higher. Your pool volume may be off, so wait for your kit to verify your addition.

You won't have any FC. Add to 4-5ppm.You can do both if those at the same time. Then, you can add 1/2 a jug of bleach/liquid chlorine everyday until your kit comes. If people go swimming, add a whole jug afterwards instead of the half jug.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.