Quiltincin

Aug 15, 2020
Bay Area in California
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
The last three years we have had a 1200 gallon above ground Intex pool. we took that down and installed a new Intex above ground pool that is 3500 gallon pool. My test kit died and I ordered a new one (2006-K), it arrived today.

We added water to the pool on Sunday Mothers Day. On Monday morning we finished filling the pool with water and I added 23oz liquid chlorine in the am, and 22oz in the afternoon, just to get some chlorine going. Since I had to wait for my test kit and we wanted to use it (just to float, no heads under water yet), I added a min of 30oz daily (guessed on the amount to add). I wanted it to have chlorine but not too much. Today my new test kit arrived and after testing the chlorine was
FC-0
CC-.5
and using the pool calculator I added 45oz liquid chlorine.

Since it is a fresh install I am assuming I need to add CYA, but do I test everything (FC, CC, PH, CYA, Calcium, Alkalinity etc,) first then decide what to add when? Or do I stabilize PH first then start adding CYA? I cant remember, I'm getting a complete blank!

Intex above ground pool
3531 gallons
250gph filter pump

Since it is a fresh install I am assuming I need to add CYA, but do I test everything (FC, CC, PH, CYA, Calcium, Alkalinity etc,) first then decide what to add when? Or do I stabilize PH first then start adding CYA? I cant remember, I'm getting a complete blank!
Do a full test panel and post results.
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
We'll get you sorted.

Tested 2.5 hrs after adding liquid Chlorine
Intex above ground 3531 gallons
2500gph pump filter

Fc-4.6
CC-.4
PH-7.8
AL-100ppm (too high?)
CA-120ppm (above ground pools don’t need to measure this one do they?)
CYA-? Test kit only measures down to 30-still perfectly clear at that level-guessing its 0 or close to that

Here is what I see
FC -ok due to low CYA?
CC-ok
PH-ok
AL-too high
CYA-too low

MY THOUGHTS:
I need to add CYA, because CYA is so low current chlorine level is okay?
Alkalinity seems high too, don't we want 60-80?
Take care of CYA and chlorine levels, then retest and adjust Alkalinity if needed at that point?

Adding CYA-I use the sock nylon method by hanging it in front of inlet(?) (drawing a blank on name of port of water that returns into pool after going through filter pump). I think I look at adding enough CYA to get a reading at 30ish, then adjust to get it between 30-50 if needed. I think last year my pool usually ran 30-40, so I should probably aims there again but closer to 30 as last year we lost a lot water due to splashing while swim exercising and I am guessing we will lose a lot less with the bigger and deeper pool.

Does this sound right, advice? Am I missing anything?

I need to add CYA, because CYA is so low current chlorine level is okay?
Yes, I would get 30ppm into the pool
Alkalinity seems high too, don't we want 60-80?
Leave it alone...over time, as you manage pH it will come down
Take care of CYA and chlorine levels, then retest and adjust Alkalinity if needed at that point?
Maintain your FC with a target for 30ppm once you put the sock in the pool. Follow this-->FC/CYA Levels
Adding CYA-I use the sock nylon method by hanging it in front of inlet(?) (drawing a blank on name of port of water that returns into pool after going through filter pump). I think I look at adding enough CYA to get a reading at 30ish, then adjust to get it between 30-50 if needed. I think last year my pool usually ran 30-40, so I should probably aims there again but closer to 30 as last year we lost a lot water due to splashing while swim exercising and I am guessing we will lose a lot less with the bigger and deeper pool.
You got it! It is called a return.
Does this sound right, advice? Am I missing anything?
Yes. No.

And your are correct calcium doesn't matter in a vinyl pool if you don't have a heater.

Great, good to know I was fairly on track. It's only been 7 months since I was maintaining the last pool, but I feel like I can't remember a thing about how to do it. Ugh, getting older sucks when the brain starts blurping!

We use solar panels to heat the pool when needed, so I'm guessing still don't need to worry about calcium?

Added CYA - not quite enough, I always do it slow rather not enough than too much
New numbers
FC - 3.8
CC-.4
AL - 90
PH - 7.4
CYA still under 30, however it's no longer completely clear and the dot is getting blurry, so it's getting there. Currently added another 4 oz to pool, hoping tomorrow it will show within range.

Feels like I'm getting there, all numbers are ok except the CYA (too low), correct?

Feels like I'm getting there, all numbers are ok except the CYA (too low), correct?
Yep, getting there.

I would switch to testing FC with 10ml sample. Each drop is .5 FC. Plenty of resolution and will save reagent.

Always follow this...Link-->FC/CYA Levels

For CYA of 30, your target range is 4-6. I would stay on the high end of the range and target 6. Why? As you get sun and swimmers, your chlorine demand can be quite high in the summer. I can lose up to 5.5FC. You will likely lose 3-4 daily. If you are at 3.8 and lose 3, you are in the Algae den...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep, getting there.

I would switch to testing FC with 10ml sample. Each drop is .5 FC. Plenty of resolution and will save reagent.

For CYA of 30, your target range is 4-6. I would stay on the high end of the range and target 6. Why? As you get sun and swimmers, your chlorine demand can be quite high in the summer. I can lose up to 5.5FC. You will likely lose 3-4 daily. If you are at 3.8 and lose 3, you are in the Algae den...
Ok, got the CYA to 30 Here are the new numbers...

FC-2.8. (this morning it was 3.8 before an 80 degree day, so not bad just need to add more)
CC-.4
PH-7.3
TA - 100
CYA - 30

Chlorine is too low. TA is too high? Best way to reduce TA?

Ok, got the CYA to 30 Here are the new numbers...

FC-2.8. (this morning it was 3.8 before an 80 degree day, so not bad just need to add more)
CC-.4
PH-7.3
TA - 100
CYA - 30

Chlorine is too low. TA is too high? Best way to reduce TA?
Your TA is fine. Don't fret TA. Manage your pH to keep it in the 7s.

Chlorine is KING. Get your FC up to 6 and keep it there until you learn your daily FC demand.

Yep, getting there.

Ok, I think my numbers are all good now.

FC -2.8. ( this is the afternoon level after an 81 degree day, so I'll just adjust and add 14oz chlorine to get it up to 6)
CC- .4
PH - 7.3
TA-100ppm
CYA - 30

Thanks for the help!

Get the FC up!!! Target is 4-6. Until you learn your FC demand, get FC up to 6 and keep it there. I would target a higher level of FC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.