Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Drip drip drip from return jet

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    63

    Drip drip drip from return jet

    What is the best course of action to stop this drip?

    Please don't tell me I have to drain the pool past the return jet area (I just refilled it).



    - - - Updated - - -

    12,000 gallon AG pool | Hayward 1HP pump | Hayward Perflex DE filter (I hate DE) | Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

  2. Back To Top    #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    63

    Re: Drip drip drip from return jet

    Any ideas?

    tightening it only makes it drip worse
    12,000 gallon AG pool | Hayward 1HP pump | Hayward Perflex DE filter (I hate DE) | Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Duncan, Ok
    Posts
    89

    Re: Drip drip drip from return jet

    Take it off. Clean off all the old Teflon tape. Add new Teflon tape and screw back in.
    30k Gallons, IG plaster, Jacuzzi Sand Storm 350lb Sand filter, 1hp Jacuzzi Magnum Force pump. Taylor K-2006 kit. Jacuzzi J-D300 side suction vac.

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Amherst, NY
    Posts
    9

    Re: Drip drip drip from return jet

    Quote Originally Posted by Coach_1 View Post
    Take it off. Clean off all the old Teflon tape. Add new Teflon tape and screw back in.
    you can reduce the amount of water pouring through it by trying to stick a ziplock bag into the jet a little so water doesn't come rushing through the hole.

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Mod Squad zea3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    9,200

    Re: Drip drip drip from return jet

    Check and make sure it is not leaking from the hose and running down to the fitting before dropping off.

    If you have to remove the fitting, clean off the Teflon tape and check the fitting for hairline cracks. You can use pipe thread dope or Teflon tape, but if you use the tape do not use more than 3 turns. Too much tape can force the threads apart instead of helping them form a seal.

    The only way you could avoid draining is if you have an extra set of hands that can hold a bowl over the return opening to form a dome while you work. You'll have to put the fitting back whether it stops leaking or not if you need to stop working for a while.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

  6. Back To Top    #6


    TFP Guide

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Central Valley CA
    Posts
    1,073

    Re: Drip drip drip from return jet

    Hard to be sure but from the picture but it looks like the Teflon tape might have been wrapped in the wrong direction, it should fallow the direction of the threads so that when being screwed back on it does not try to peel back off or bunch. I like the zip lock bag idea Tater mentioned if you have a helper that can get in the pool and push against the bag while you thread the fitting water loss should be not much.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

  7. Back To Top    #7
    banditig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    464

    Re: Drip drip drip from return jet

    You could take the eyeball out and put a plug in also. Most pool stores have them or lowes has the rubber ones.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=hayward+return+plug&hl=en&gbv=2&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch& tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiumpfljarNAhVRPVIKHS2wA0gQ sAQIKA
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    63

    Re: Drip drip drip from return jet

    Quote Originally Posted by tater_salad View Post
    you can reduce the amount of water pouring through it by trying to stick a ziplock bag into the jet a little so water doesn't come rushing through the hole.
    Good idea!

    Sorry if I wasn't clear -- I know I can simply refit the attachment. I'm mainly looking for a way to NOT drain, and still be able to fix.

    This accomplishes that. Thanks!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    Check and make sure it is not leaking from the hose and running down to the fitting before dropping off.

    If you have to remove the fitting, clean off the Teflon tape and check the fitting for hairline cracks. You can use pipe thread dope or Teflon tape, but if you use the tape do not use more than 3 turns. Too much tape can force the threads apart instead of helping them form a seal.

    The only way you could avoid draining is if you have an extra set of hands that can hold a bowl over the return opening to form a dome while you work. You'll have to put the fitting back whether it stops leaking or not if you need to stop working for a while.
    Didn't know about the too much tape could actually hurt.

    Thank you!
    12,000 gallon AG pool | Hayward 1HP pump | Hayward Perflex DE filter (I hate DE) | Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •