Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cost of ledge removal

1. Back To Top    #1

Cost of ledge removal

I am a long time lurker. Finally watering my gunite.
    Anyhow, I searched here, there and everywhere to try and ballpark the cost of ledge removal.
    I figured I should pay it forward.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by johncunningham; 06-11-2016 at 04:06 AM. Reason: typo

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cost of ledge removal

Anyhow, we live in New England. Its granite, and we are building into the side of the hill. The ledge will end up being our retaining wall. To make a long story short, we had to blast to gain lateral space and then also the gain depth for the deep end. Finished depth will be just under 8 feet of water, which meant that needed to blast about four feet from the excavated deep end. All in, they moved approximately 15 truckloads of granite. Total cost 15.5k Ouch. On the bright side, a retaining wall system might have been three times the cost and not looked as nice. We knew we were going to hit rock. We just didn't know how much. You never know until you know... We are happy with our builder. And all in all it was a minor or maybe major hiccup. Delayed our build by about 3 weeks with the need for pre-blast inspections of the neighbors houses and permitting.

3. Back To Top    #3

Please post more pics! Would love to see your plans!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

4. Back To Top    #4

Very interesting, thanks for posting that info.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Progress report. Coping installed. Landscape contractors have started working on grading and drainage. We still aren't sure what it going to look like when the stone is cleaned up and the plantings are in. image.jpg

6. Back To Top    #6

That must have been fun blasting! Better than the 4th of July I bet!
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

7. Back To Top    #7

Surprisingly, the blasting was nearly silent. The stone was drilled and the the blast site was covered with heavy rubber mats made of used tractor trailer tires. Very little disturbance.

8. Back To Top    #8

BoyHowdy...my pool builder would have had fun with this one. In the off season he runs a fireworks store!! Honest! He likes blasting stuff
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

9. Back To Top    #9

So will people be able to jump off the ledge into the pool?
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

10. Back To Top    #10

Water went in yesterday. I'm brushing plaster twice a day. Landscaping 95% finished. A few more plantings, mulch and sod.

- - - Updated - - -

Thought I had a picture included.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Back To Top    #11

Wow!! That's beautiful. Nice job!!

12. Back To Top    #12

That's cool. Love the rock wall.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

13. Back To Top    #13

Nice pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

14. Back To Top    #14

Very pretty!
    42x31x20 lagoon shape, vinyl, inground pool. Approx 27,000 gallons. 3.5' to 5.5' depth. Latham natural gray liner, Pentair Tagelus fiberglass sand filter, Pentair Intelliflo pump, auto SWG, 3 LED intellibrite lights. Construction beginning Aug 11, 2016. K-2006C test kit.

15. Back To Top    #15

Your pool and landscape looks great!! We just had to blast rock in our backyard to remove granite for the deep end, we were able to cover the blast zone with soil and didn't have to use mats.

Pool build is here with video of the blast:

New Owner Build Pool with Rock Blasting - Loomis, CA

16. Back To Top    #16

I love the rock wall, looks so cool!
    Pool-15x31', Spa-7x9', depth 3.5-6', HP Pentair Whisper Flow pump/motor, Intelliflo 8-160, 4-to-8 speed, Pentair 320 Clean and Clear capacity filter (upgraded to 400,000BTU stackless heater). Stacked stone- Autumn Rose Classic, tile- Ridgeline Blue Slate, coping- Turning Leaf Quartzite. Start date 7/12/16! Progress thread

17. Back To Top    #17

That's an amazing oasis, well done!

It could easily ruin the look of it all, but I think I'd be dreaming up a slide from the top, haha
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by needsajet View Post
    It could easily ruin the look of it all, but I think I'd be dreaming up a slide from the top, haha
    My thoughts for sure!!!!!!!!! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE all the way down!

That pool and area look awesome! So classy!

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit