South Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi all, I’ve been a TFP lurker for several months and now a first time poster. I really enjoy the forum discussions and have learned a tremendous amount before deciding to install a pool.

Now the reason for this post. We are getting a fiberglass pool installed over what used to be gunite pool. The previous homeowner had a leak in the gunite pool and instead of pursuing repair, decided to punch holes in the bottom, cave in the sides and fill with dirt. Then gunite pool is unsalvageable, so I am looking to remove the pool to install the fiberglass pool in the same area. The pool builder sent a quote for pool removal that includes removing only portions of the gunite pool that interfere with new installation.

My question is should the pool builder remove the entire pool or is it sufficient to just remove enough to allow for the new pool? Do you for see any problems with doing either?

Thanks!

Wow. That’s a tough call. Excavating and removing an ENTIRE gunite shell can easily cost in excess of $15k-$20k depending on local regulations. Concrete with rebar and pipes buried in it are not something you can just throw in a dumpster and haul off to local dump in a lot of jurisdictions. In CA, you actually need a separate demolition and disposal plan, along with associated permits, just to remove an old pool. So the PB may be trying to save you the hassle and cost of going through all that. As long as the PB is going to warranty the shell and construction against defects, which should include ensuring that any remaining parts of the old pool structure are stabilized and not like to shift and damage the FG shell, then I’d go with partial removal.

That said, what does the PB’s contract say??

which should include ensuring that any remaining parts of the old pool structure are stabilized and not like to shift and damage the FG shell
Yeah that's where I'm at. It's basically a really fancy landfill with large voids possible under the chunks. Said voids may or may not collapse down the road.

Hey Lampasas and Welcome !!! :wave: LOVE your fancy badge. :)

Welcome to TFP.

Pools should be built on undisturbed soil that has been naturally compacted for many many years. The fill put in the gunite shell is not undisturbed soil and not well compacted. I would be concerned about digging a hole in there to place the fiberglass pool.

Fiberglass pools are prone to shifting and getting off level as the ground shifts. And the fiberglass shell cannot support itself. It is flexible and flimsy. It needs solid support from the surrounding ground for stability or the floor can feel like you are walking on a trampoline.

How long has it been since the previous owner filled in the gunite shell?

Last edited:
Wow. That’s a tough call. Excavating and removing an ENTIRE gunite shell can easily cost in excess of $15k-$20k depending on local regulations. Concrete with rebar and pipes buried in it are not something you can just throw in a dumpster and haul off to local dump in a lot of jurisdictions. In CA, you actually need a separate demolition and disposal plan, along with associated permits, just to remove an old pool. So the PB may be trying to save you the hassle and cost of going through all that. As long as the PB is going to warranty the shell and construction against defects, which should include ensuring that any remaining parts of the old pool structure are stabilized and not like to shift and damage the FG shell, then I’d go with partial removal.

That said, what does the PB’s contract say??
The pool builder warranty on work performed is 1 yr. His estimate for partial pool removal is around $15k

Yeah. 1 year isn’t long enough. And you should check with the FG shell manufacturer to see what they say. They may void the warranty if the shell is being installed over an old existing excavation site.

Reactions: kimkats
1 year warranty from Pool Builder is not enough time for any settling problems to appear. Builder will be long gone when the floor begins to feel springy or cracks are found. You are on your own and I would not rely on the builder telling you everything will be fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Curious to hear what they tell you or share after you voice your concerns. Best of luck, what a dilemma!

Update. Pool builder is now going to remove the entire concrete pool and compact the fill with a vibratory roller in preparation of the new fiberglass pool. I am much more confident that this will be the best solution to the problem. I appreciate all the feedback!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.