I am so thrilled to have found TFP. I took a brief look at some of the posts and I already can see how much help is being offered. We moved to our house last August and closed the pool a month later because it quickly turned green and it soon became obvious we were getting nowhere fixing the problem following the pool store advice. Now we have to reopen it again and as you can guess I am in full panic about it. My two daughters were so disappointed that they had no chance to try the pool before we closed it last year so no pressure now.
Further to the info I added in my signature, here are a few things that I think might help you get an idea of our situation:
- Location wise,we are around Toronto, Ontario an hour drive from Niagara Falls
- We are bringing a pool company to open the pool after a few days on Thursday. The cover is still on the pool but I already know it will be very green.
- I will send test results on Friday after the opening.
In the meantime, I hope you can help me with these few questions:
- Can you please point me to a list of basic pool maintenance essentials that I have to make sure I have as a minimum? I am not sure I have everything I need and I do not know what I am missing.
- The filters are very dirty. We ran them all through September without cleaning while trying to clear the green pool several times. What is the best way to clean them? Just hosing them seems to be doing little.
- Are there any materials I should buy or any steps I should be doing the next few days in preperation for the pool opening?
- Also once opened, should I go ahead and immediately top it up with fresh water and then test the water or should I do any steps before adding the new water?
- Sidewalk is also dirty. Should I try to clean it with the pressure washer before the opening or should I wait till after?
- As I mentioned, we have several trees above the pool and nowadays in the springtime seem to have way too many droppings (similar to fall time). Is there a way to reduce the impact to the pool from these droppings?
Any other advice that you think I should be seeking is also very appreciated.
Sorry for the long post -- in summary -- I REALLY NEED YOUR HELP!! THANK YOU!