Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shocking

1. Back To Top    #1

Shocking

Could I placed the solar cover on the pool right after shocking it? Thanks!
    18'X33'X52" Aqua Leader. Hayward Perflex EC50 Filter System With 1.5 HP Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shocking

When we "SLAM" our TFP pools to remove algae (link below), it's best to leave the cover off so the sun can oxidize the combined chlorines more efficiently.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Shocking

TFP does not teach "shocking" as a routine process except in the context of a SLAM to clear up an algae problem. Once a pool is cleaned and cleared by our methods, routine "shocking" is never needed.

So my question to you is this - why are you shocking your pool? If you are opening your pool, then you should follow the procedures we have outlined in Pool School for opening a winterized pool and/or SLAM'ing a pool. All of this would normally done with any covers removed.

Once a pool is clean and clear, the cover can be left on or off as needed with no concern for exposure to chlorine.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates