TA and vinyl liner

May 11, 2016
Troy IL
The pool school chart says vinyl TA for a non SWG pool should be 50-90+. I read somewhere that for vinyl liners it was important to keep the pH balanced and the TA below 120. Now, here on the TFP forums I've read that TA mostly only matters if you have a plaster pool, or if you are having problems fighting pH rise.

So, settle it for me, if my TA is 200ppm, should I be trying to get it under 120 even if my pH is stable?

TA really is only important in so far as keeping your pH in check. If your pH is stable then generally whatever your TA is should be fine. People who use pucks to chlorinate have to keep their TA higher as the pucks are quite acidic and the TA helps keep the pH from bottoming out. Those with SWGs or who manually chlorinate typically need to lower the TA further to keep the pH stable.

Of the parameters we test for and "keep inline", TA is easily the most misunderstood. It is quite easy to adjust and there is actually a very wide range that seems to perform nicely in almost all pools,

If I had TA of 200, I would bring it down by aeration and acid (read Pool School) but I wouldn't be in a big hurry.....it just not that critical. I would shoot for 100 or so. As noted above, as long as your pH is table, you are good to go.

Thanks all. I had a feeling that 120 or below recommendation was like most pool advice you get from sales people. I appreciate you confirming.

I too want to lower it, but am not in a hurry. Maybe after this holiday weekend. I've got some spare PVC pipe I was going to use to make an aerator.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.