Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing water

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing water

May be a stupid question, but can I use the pool's pump to drain the water? My CYA levels are 100 and pool math suggested a 60% replacement. I'm a new pool owner and I've never done this before.
    Thanks
    16x32 (22K gal)/ IG/ vinyl liner/Hayword Proseries Sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Replacing water

The answer is that it depends.

If you have main drains, and your plumbing supports only pulling from the drain, it is certainly possible to drain this way. Some people's main drains route through their skimmer, in which case you'd need a diverter plate in the skimmer so the pump didn't suck air. Others have no main drains at all, and either need to find a way to route a pipe from the bottom of the pool into the skimmer's intake pipe, or they rent/buy a submersible pump and do it that way.

You'll also want to check your local laws/codes on where you may send drained pooled water. Many cities/counties have rules as to how, when, and where you can drain pools.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

3. Back To Top    #3

If you have a main drain and can turn off your skimmer(s), yes. If no main drain, then no because it will stop when you get to the bottom of the skimmer.

Have you tried testing a diluted sample to see if you are actually over 100?
    Pool School - CYA
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the prompt response and I have no idea about the type of draining system(s) I have. I bought the house in March. I will retest CYA using diluted method now.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    If you have a main drain and can turn off your skimmer(s), yes. If no main drain, then no because it will stop when you get to the bottom of the skimmer.

Have you tried testing a diluted sample to see if you are actually over 100?
    Pool School - CYA
    Isn't it possible to shutoff the Main drain and hook a vacuum hose to the skimmer? Or in the absence of a main drain, just hookup a hose to the skimmer.
    Gunite Pool/Spa, CLI Caribbean blue crystal stone smooth, Pentair 3hp Intellifo VS, Pentair Quad DE Filter, Pentair 400k BTU Heater, KK Prowler 820, Pentair PSL4 controler with Screenlogic wifi, Inline Chlorinator, Pentair 1.5hp Spa Blower, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir. My 2016 Pool Build

6. Back To Top    #6

I guess you could do that, why didn't I think of that?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by kirklaura View Post
    May be a stupid question, but can I use the pool's pump to drain the water? My CYA levels are 100 and pool math suggested a 60% replacement. I'm a new pool owner and I've never done this before.
    Thanks
    Yes, I just drained 80% of my water, and did it with the pool pump. I shut off the skimmers, and just used the main drain. If you only have skimmers, you can do it with the hose method mentioned above. Where you hook the hose up to your system, and the size of that hose will determine how long it will take. I drained my water to the street drain, instead of the yard, since I was draining 22,000 gallons of water. So, I ran a garden hose 150 feet to the street. That makes for a slow drain. A bigger hose, and a shorter run, will make it go much faster.
    Bruce - (The SmartJack was an invention of mine, and became my nickname)
    Fox Pool 40x27 IG Vinyl, Lagoon Shape, 27,000 gallons, Hayward 300,000 BTU heater
    Hayward 1.5 HP, 2-Speed SuperPump, with Hayward C4025 Cartridge Filter
    Polaris C-310 ORP Controller, modified to pump Liquid Chlorine
    Hayward Phantom, and Aquabot Turbo T-Jet automatic pool cleaners, Taylor K-2006