Double check my plan of action for high Calcium in water please.

Jan 31, 2024
LA
Hello, I have a new pool im learning to take care of via TFP and am doing one test per day. Currently my CH is reading 525 but the pool math app says ideal is 350 - 550.

I'd like to get it down to 450, and the calcium hardness of the replacement water which i sourced from my sink is 250.

The app then says I have to drain 33 percent of the pool to reach that target.

I saw a video saying not to use backwash as a way to drain your pool as it can damage the motor if the water level goes below the skimmer thing, so I'm going to but a submersible pump like this.

It says it does 1800 gallons per hour, and since 33 percent of my 18000 gallon pool is 6800

6800 / 1800 = run this pump for 3.7 hours, then refill the pool

Does all that make sense?

You can easily manage your CSI with a CH of 525. I would not drain at this time. If you can harvest rain water (if LA gets another rain event) do that.

Whenever you drain a pool in this area to lower CH, drain the entire volume and refill.

Also, the pump recs are dated and you can get 1 HP or 1.6HP pumps for under $100 these days. Waiting for a little pump gets old quick.

You can easily manage your CSI with a CH of 525. I would not drain at this time. If you can harvest rain water (if LA gets another rain event) do that.

Whenever you drain a pool in this area to lower CH, drain the entire volume and refill.
Thanks for your response, I'll just keep an eye on it then and look into CSI management. Was there a reason you recommend only draining completely and not partially?

Was there a reason you recommend only draining completely and not partially?
Why mess with it every year? If, like the last couple years, you get these AR rain events, you could easily harvest quite a bit of rain water and extend the time frame.

In LA, I would think you could go 3, maybe 4 years without draining if managed right.

Or get softened water. Then you would never, or very rarely, ever have to drain.

Reactions: Newdude
Why mess with it every year? If, like the last couple years, you get these AR rain events, you could easily harvest quite a bit of rain water and extend the time frame.

In LA, I would think you could go 3, maybe 4 years without draining if managed right.

Or get softened water. Then you would never, or very rarely, ever have to drain.
Got it, that makes sense. Thank you!

Do you ever ADD calcium either by dry calcium chloride or using Cal-Hypo for chlorine additions?
It's important to know where your CH is coming from - 250 CH fill water isn't that crazy, especially when you have rainfall mixing in and diluting from time to time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.