New Pool Build - Porter Ranch, CA

It looks great. I would love to see a close up pic of the waterline tile meeting the stacked stone. Can you post one? Or did I miss it in the history?

Here's a closeup of the tile/stacked stone. I was very worried about how this would work. For the most part, it's fine b/c the stone protrudes further than the tile:

29fc5f08e6f731bb2f7207f447423182.jpg

There's a couple of places where the stone doesn't protrude as far. I'm a little worried but I'm sure it's just one of those things that only I will notice.

0986c39b696a54d8352d0196e637a247.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Major progress over the past two days. The Pebble Tec guys showed up at 7:00 and blew in like the wind. What an operation! They were organized and skillful.

1f286a150e789e515a399a0552d1491c.jpg

They worked hard from 9:00 - 1:30 and then cleaned up and they were gone!

036212fd0739c1225f0b2c4a0e298d78.jpg

52260f0645a2feeb00a6da9ad922c67b.jpg

They acid washed today and we began filling at 10:30 AM. 3 hoses, 2 of them high pressure and we are jamming. It should be full by midnight.

I'm crazy about figuring out the actual volume. I read the water meter and I have flow meters on the hoses. More on that later.

935579e5e03be8d033d8d926dff716ed.jpg

97bb77f3db225e598143241dec134a32.jpg

Sneak peek:
eeba970b6e1bd3c6b86af4af338accff.jpg

That's all for tonight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks wonderful, very elegant color palette. Congrats! I'm sure you're the only one who will notice the tile protruding a teeny bit. We have a single rogue 1x1 trim tile that is slightly askew from the others and of course my fingers always go straight to that one piece! But I'm sure nobody else notices.

Chemistry Advice

Hi all,

Well, I'm about 10 days post-fill and I've been watching the chemistry like a hawk. It's been interesting to see how the water reacts to the full sun and swimming/splashing etc. Here's my current numbers as of this evening and I have a few questions and I'm hoping you knowledgeable folks might offer any suggestions if you think I'm off track. I'm manually adding bleach right now until about the 28 day mark for salt.

FC - 1 - this fluctuates between about 5 and maybe down to .5 by the end of the day. Definitely easy to adjust this

PH - 7.6. 7.5 has been my target mostly because that's the number printed on the scale. It's taking quite a bit of acid each day (like 60-80 ounces) or so. Is that normal due to the fact that the pebble is new? It seems to swing quite a bit up to say 8.0 or a little higher before I bring it down.

TA - 110 - my target in my head has been 80 but I haven't done anything to adjust it yet. Just letting things settle down. Do I need to worry? Should I jack the PH down to 7.0-7.2?

CH - 150 - When I tested my fill water a few months ago, it was 175 but it seems to be 150 since I started testing after fill. Do I need to worry about bringing it up yet?

CYA - ~30ppm I added enough to bring it up to 30 ppm soon after fill. I put the CYA power in a sock. Boy was that a pain to get it to come out. Seems like liquid CYA would be the way to go here.

I was wondering if adding bleach and acid at the same time was a bad idea? I just started adding bleach any night and acid in the morning because I was wondering if the chlorine would cause the PH to rise? It's too soon for me to know if that matters.

I've vacuumed with a vinyl vacuum I bought but I'm about done with that. PebbleTec's instructions don't say when it's OK to start using a manual vac with wheels. And a pool vac? I'm leaning toward the Zodiac G3 which doesn't have wheels so it seems like I could start using that any time? Thoughts?

Thanks as always for your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is no need to raise your CH since it will rise on its own fairly quickly. Because the CH is low, you need to keep your TA higher than you ordinarily would to compensate. Unfortunately this means that you will go through more acid since the pH will be driven upward by the higher TA.

Might as well raise the CYA to 80.

Use whatever vacuum you'd like. The vinyl liner vacuum heads are so miserable to work with that I'd bet more damage is done using them than a pool cleaner/robot would.

I can't speak highly enough of the robots.

Chlorine has little impact on pH so no need to be overly concerned.

Thanks! What should I target for TA? Do I need to drive PH down quite a bit in order to raise TA?

Do you recommend liquid CYA? Can I just dump some granules into the skimmer basket if I'm not planning to clean the cartridge filter any time soon?

I don't know why the robots seem so counter-intuitive to me. It seems like messing with a plug and a big thing that I have to store somewhere in the garage is a PITA? I've got a fancy suction side port that I was planning to put to use.

So long as you have about 15 mins between the chlorine and MA you are fine to add them during the same part of the day. Make sure you do not store them next to each other. The MA should be stored in a WELL ventilated areas and NOT around metal as the fumes can cause rusting.

You are doing great! Are you keeping a log of your results? It sounds like you are. It really does help you see a pattern. That will help you know your pool even better.

You need to keep an eye on that FC. It should not get that low if at all possible. Maybe shoot for higher in the morning (or evening if you add the chlorine then) so it has more to keep during the day.

:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.