Spa has a leak and high maintenance

dlaslo

May 30, 2015
Venice, FL
We bought a spa from the nearby Dynasty factory "outlet" where they sell new spas with minor defects. The darn thing had a slow leak that was really hard to find. Some times it was a fast leak and I thought it happened during some intermittent cycle (filter backwash?). The spa was initially under warranty and after multiple unsuccessful visits by the repair crew (repairs visits were really annoying, since I'd call and set up an appointment and they'd come maybe 3 months later after I'd call in and remind them several times), the repair guys eventually (after the warranty expired) took it back to the factory and did a total rework on the innards. That did the trick. We filled it up with water and it held the same level for over a year, whereas I was adding maybe an inch of water a week previously. New pumps, new pipes, new jets, all was well.

This last winter, we went on an RV trip and had to leave the spa unattended for a few months. I called the factory tech support for direction and they suggested either putting antifreeze in the tub (and a lot of it....not just a few bottles) or leaving the spa running. The tech told me even if there was a power failure, it could sit for a few days and be OK.

So we left it running.

When we got back, the electricity was on, and the spa was empty. All the digital clocks were on the correct time, so the power never went off.

I filled it up with water and powered it - looking for the leak (I was guessing a pipe froze and burst) - but nothing. The spa held level for maybe 10 days. No leaks. Then yesterday, I opened it and it was down maybe 8 inches. Also, one of the pumps was noisy (bearings?).

So, I am giving up. There is a spa show in town this weekend and I am of the mind right now to trade this baby in.

But I want a good quality outdoor spa that can sit unattended in the winter and doesn't need constant visits from the repair crew. My wife likes a therapeutic spa but we also use it for relaxing.

I've heard good things about Sundance and Hot Springs......

Any opinions on where I should be going?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.