Elevated spa connected to pool leak

Oct 16, 2022
Moraga, Ca
Hi TFP,
I have a leak in my spa that’s connected to my pool. Previous owner used epoxy to patch but it’s now leaking. I used food coloring to see that the food coloring is going thru the patch. In the attached picture, you’ll see the gray and white epoxy patch.

What’s the best way to DIY fix this? More epoxy?

Attachments

• IMG_3542.jpeg
    IMG_3542.jpeg
    546.5 KB · Views: 27
You need to show some wider pics for context on what joint we are looking at.

What are those surfaces?

I suspect grout should have been used, not epoxy.

Here's a wider angle photo of what we're looking at. If you're looking out from the spa and towards the pool, it's the left side of this photo. You'll see white and gray pool epoxy putty along the line where the tile meets the pebbletech.

Attachments

• IMG_3005.jpg
    IMG_3005.jpg
    953.4 KB · Views: 10
Grout should have been used, not epoxy.

It is going to be difficult to get anything to stick to the epoxy now.

I would drop the water in the spa to take a close look at the patch area and see if you can scrape the epoxy off. Or you may need to chip off the epoxy with sone plaster and then patch the area.

The repair should be grout or plaster and grout.

oh got it, thanks. The pool surface is pebbletec. Would your suggestion be the same (chip off the epoxy with possibly some pebbletec)? I have a pebble patch kit.
Yup, it all starts with fully removing the epoxy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.