Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is this thing?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is this thing?

So I have two of these copper things sticking out of the side of my pool and I have no idea what they are. Thoughts?

30k free form IG gunnite pool with 1.5 hp challenger pump, sta-rite sand filter, SWG, and Rheem heater.

2002 425 gal cal spa fiesta series spa with ozonator.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is this thing?

Could be a pipe to add water to your pool. Any water valves around you don't know what they are for? I have PVC stub sticking out of my coping.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Or could be a return from the pump to spray water to aerate and cool the water (and raise the pH)
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Not that I've seen, but I'll look around more tomorrow. Could it be in the basement? I noticed two odd looking valves down there.

If so it appears to be capped, or at least I assume that's what the slotted thing is screwed into the nozzle looking part.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Or could be a return from the pump to spray water to aerate and cool the water (and raise the pH)
    That's an interesting idea. The return from the pump splits into two pipes going into the ground, one of which has a valve that is currently turned off.

30k free form IG gunnite pool with 1.5 hp challenger pump, sta-rite sand filter, SWG, and Rheem heater.

2002 425 gal cal spa fiesta series spa with ozonator.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Stobes21 View Post
    The return from the pump splits into two pipes going into the ground, one of which has a valve that is currently turned off.

I am new to pools so I have no idea what risks there are for a trial and error approach, but have you tried turning that valve on with the pump running to see what happens?

6. Back To Top    #6

It could be tied in to a sprinkler line or a nearby hose spigot.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach