Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening above ground. What order?

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening above ground. What order?

Opened the pool this weekend and here are the numbers

Fc 1.5
    Cc 0
    Ch 25
    Ta 44
    Cya 35
    Ph 7.4
    Salt 1590.

I was think salt, cya, ta, ch, and then fc. What are y'all thoughts.
    16,000 gals. 27 Round AG. Intex SWG. 1.5 hp Hayward Power Flo Lx. Jacuzzi 190L sand filter. TF-100. Full sun.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening above ground. What order?

The fact you still have CYA remaining is great. Bump that FC up to at least 5 for now and consider doing an OCLT to be sure nothing is growing. If you fail the OCLT, do a SLAM right away before increasing your CYA to the 70-80 range. Here's the TFP page for Pool School - Opening Your Winterized Above Ground Pool.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Do I need to do a OCLT water is just about crystal clear. I can see all the wrinkles in the liner very well.
    16,000 gals. 27 Round AG. Intex SWG. 1.5 hp Hayward Power Flo Lx. Jacuzzi 190L sand filter. TF-100. Full sun.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd get things balanced and squared away as a bleach pool, then add the salt and fire up the SWG. To that end, add bleach, mess with the CYA granules and the sock, then dump in the baking soda. Wait a few days until the CYA is all dissolved and fine tune, then add the salt.

With your vinyl pool, you don't really need CH. You might get some foaming where the return stream breaks the surface, so if it bugs you, raise CH. If it doesn't, save your money.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Your call BigRed. If you find after opening and adjusting that FC holds well after increasing, cc continues to be next to nothing, and water remains clear, press-on. Later, you can always run an OCLT if in doubt.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks will start working on it Wednesday and update. This is my 2nd season with with the tfp method and 1st opening.