Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: IG Liner Replacement Sand Bottom

1. Back To Top    #1

IG Liner Replacement Sand Bottom

Looking to DIY a liner replacement in a few weeks. I have a sand bottom and I'm concerned about the skill it takes to work the sand correctly. Is it a true skill or easy to get the hang of?
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: IG Liner Replacement Sand Bottom

Working with sand over a large area takes a bit of patience and ingenuity. If you have a laser level , that may help. Large rectangle pools have their own challenges due to size when trying to level a large area, that's where a laser may be beneficial (if even needed). Hopefully by bumping this thread you'll get a few more eye on it for some ideas. Re-post back here later if you don't hear anything to keep the thread going.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Am I crazy to think the majority will be in good shape and I may just need some "patch" work? I don't have any air bubbles under the liner and the floor seems pretty smooth.
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

4. Back To Top    #4

**Edited** You are correct. That would be my assumption as well. As long as foot traffic during liner replacement doesn't make a mess of things.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm a bit thick what am I looking for with AGP Bases? They apply to my IG?

6. Back To Top    #6

Duh. I'm sorry. I derailed somewhere along that conversation. Where was my head at? Don't answer that! You're correct in post #3 that for the most part, your base should already be firm and intact. Depending upon the amount of foot traffic during the removal of the old liner, hopefully you will only have some minor touch-ups. If you had to re-screen the entire sand base across 20' at once, that could be a little tricky.

I edited my previous posts that appeared to be from another planet.