Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: concrete stains

1. Back To Top    #1

concrete stains

Does anyone have experience wit staining your concrete pool deck? I need some ideas on what product to use and if it is a do it yourself project
    Dennis

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: concrete stains

try to leach them out with absorbic acid. Do it in a small area first. I dont recomend this if your concrete is dyed.
    Matthew
    Involved in the pool and spa industry
    Pittsburgh, PA

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by MEvan
    try to leach them out with absorbic acid. Do it in a small area first. I dont recomend this if your concrete is dyed.

I believe he's talking about giving the concrete some color on purpose.

Staining seems to be weird. I'm a structural engineer and recently did a project that was going to have several thousand sf of stained concrete. We had all of these hoops to jump through with our design. The contractor ignored all of it and did the concrete the usual way. The stain contractor said no big deal, they'd adjust their procedures and it would still work without a cost change. Huh, well why did we jump through all of those hoops then? I say all of that to say that it seems like voodoo science, but when done correctly it sure looks nice. I haven't a clue if it's a DIY thing or not. You can probably find a concrete contractors board out there somewhere and get some good info.
    The avatar is Spalding from Caddyshack
    18x36 vinyl IG - approximately 24000 gal
    Jandy SHPM1.5 Pump (1.5 HP); Jandy APURE 1400 SWG; Polaris PB4-60Q Booster Pump; Jandy CL340 Cartridge Filter
    (3) 4'x12' Aquatherm solar panels
    Next project, pump sound enclosure and lots of pool landscaping [6tons of stone 8) funnnn]

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by stage759
    Does anyone have experience wit staining your concrete pool deck? I need some ideas on what product to use and if it is a do it yourself project
    Are you talking about doing an "acid stain" on a brushed concrete pool deck and wondering if it will 'take' and hold up to the pool chemicals? If so, the best people to talk to are those in a concrete factory or supplier (yellow pages ).
    They will know if someone has done it, what it takes, and how often it has to be re-sealed.

Terry in NC
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!