Ground help

RayPA

Feb 20, 2016
Brodheadsville/PA
So I bought a home that came with a new above ground in the garage with the sale. The back yard has already began to be prepped but some of what I read leads me to believe there is an issue with it. I'll explain......
The ground was excavated about 3-10 inches deep to get it somewhat level. After that there is about a 1-2 inch base of crushed limestone. (This is what I am unsure of) Most of what I'm reading recommends putting the pool directly on the ground with paver blocks under the posts. So I'm not sure why the crushed limestone was added. It's more like pea sized stone not crushed flakes. I'm thinking this needs a 2 inch layer of topsoil hammered in with a jumping jack in the spring and laser leveled then the pool installed. I'm in Northeast Pennsylvania and won't be able to do much for atleast a month but want to insure this is done correctly.

Thank you to anyone ahead of time that replies. I will be paying an installer to put the pool up and am looking for one in the Pocono area too should anyone have any recommendations.

Ray

Generally one wants to install an AGP on virgin soil that has been excavated to level. There are exceptions however. If you have soil that is expansive for example you may want to do something else.

We know nothing about your soil so can't really tell you much. I would talk to several installers and see how they do it. You should get some kind of written warranty from them.

Hello Ray and welcome to TFP! :wave: It sounds like the crushed base was applied to help stabilize the ground - either for framing stability, water drainage, or both. Yes, typically anything like that is covered will with something to protect the liner. If you use the "Search" feature from our home page and type "AGP base" or any variation like that, you'll see dozens of threads from owners who have used a variety of methods and materials to set the AGP. Gorilla pads, sand, insulation, pavers, all kinds of materials. Once some others see this thread, I'm sure you'll have more advice that you can shake a stick at. In the meantime .... welcome!

Do not add earth to the limestone. Take a compactor and run it over the crush and set it. Then you'll be able to set the pool on it without 12x12 blocks under the uprights. Take pics and post them. Pics are worth a 1000 words.

Casey is correct....do not add dirt.
It's more like pea sized stone not crushed flakes.
If it is washed gravel (reasonably uniform with little to no powder), it will not compact.

Simply level and install....ASSUMING there is little to no fill dirt underneath the gravel.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.