Pipe size

Mike Oldak

Sep 17, 2023
Bethesda, MD
In a recent storm most of my pool equipment was crushed by a huge tree. I have a ~20,000 pool with 1 1/2 inch pipes from the pool to the equipment. My pump has 2 inch ports as well as some of my other equipment. Should I use 2 inch pipes above ground or just put in reducers to 1 1/2 inches?

Didn’t say above ground or in ground, nor how far does the piping have to go. My in ground, the pool has 1-1/2, pump was 2”. But it’s less than 6 ft each side, so I reduced to 1-1/2. 2 inch will always give better flow rate, especially for longer runs.

If you are just replumbing the pipes at the pad, either is fine. You're goimg to have to use reducers at some point when foing from 2" to 1.5" anyway.
You won't see a large improvement in flow by using 2" pipe for a few feet and then dropping down to 1.5" where the plumbing goes underground.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.