Algaecide / chlorine levels

glyn

Dec 3, 2015
W.A
Coming off a Perth winter , where I have used algaecide in my 28 foot vinyl pool to ward off the "green" successfully.
I have shock treated the pool , its nice and clear and clean , smells of chlorine, but I can't get a chlorine reading using a strip or drop method, I am assuming algaecide must affect the reading, does it affect the actual chlorine level, The pool looks great, but whats it all mean , Is it safe to swim ?
Thanks for any help
Glyn

Welcome to TFP!

Without a chlorine reading we can't say if it's safe.

Strips and some test kits "bleach out" at high chlorine levels and appear to be 0 when in fact they are very high. What test kit are you using?

Be specific as to what you have added in what amounts including the algecide. When did you add the algecide? We will also need details on the pool. The pool,details are usually best to add to your signature so it is seen each time you post.

Smell of chlorine and no reading to me sounds like CC which isn't good but not the end of the world.

What I'd suggest to you is to read the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry (you can find that handy lil link in my signature below) and learn the very basics of what we teach here at TFP.

And welcome. You've found the best pool forum on the net.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.