Newbie: Pump Problem Can't Clean Pool

jeremysm1

Bronze Supporter
Nov 12, 2015
Scottsdale/AZ
I have an in-ground pebble sheen pool about 20,000 gallons here in Scottsdale, Arizona and endeavor to maintain it myself. My trusted pool service person sold his business to another fellow earlier in the year and the replacement company just wasn't what I was looking for. I stopped service a 2 weeks ago and noticed leaves collecting at the bottom of the pool. Today, I finally fully investigated it and found that there is no water intake happening--but the pump sounds and looks like its working. I was all excited to plug in the new pool hose and sweep away those leaves outta there when I discovered this. I just sat there for 10 minutes looking at the pipes and valves without a clue as to what I should do--and I don't want to guess and make things worse.

I'm thinking that possibly a valve needs to be turned to allow the water to flow? Maybe the pool guy turned something off on his last visit? I have a Jandy Aqualink system, an in-floor cleaning popup system, Whisperflow pump, and Hayward Salt Cel if this matters. Any suggestions how to troubleshoot this would be greatly appreciated. I can upload some pictures of the configuration if that helps. Thanks so much!

Hello and welcome to TFP! First thing we need to find out .... is the pump actually on and "trying" to pull-in water? Just in front of your pump there should be a "pump basket". It usually has a clear lid. Is it full of water? There should be little to no air bubbles or gap of air at the top of that clear lid. If there is no water in that pump basket, check to see if you have a valve before the basket. Also go to your surface skimmer at the pool to make sure nothing is blocking the intake where water/leaves might get pulled into the skimmer before heading towards that pump and pump basket.

If the pump basket has no water in it and the pump is running, shut it off for now as to not overheat the pump. The water also keeps the pump cooled. Let us know what you discover and we'll go from there. If you would like, you can post some pics of your equipment as well. Often times that helps the viewers.

Thanks for your reply. Just went to investigate and here is what I found:

1. Using my remote control, I turned on the pump while looking at the intake under the skimmer basket. The water is definitely getting sucked into one of the intake tubes but seems only for a few seconds then stops sucking.
2. When I turn off the pump, it pours back the water that it sucked in and the water overflows out of the skimmer basket area onto the pool deck. Probably the same amount that it took in.
3. I took a look at my pump, opened it up and snapped a pic of the filter basket from the pump (seems warped--could this be the problem or just another problem along the line)?
4. The sun was shining on half of the equipment so the picture isn't fully clear.

Thoughts? Sorry if the pics are sideways, I don't know how to rotate them in this system. Thanks!

Okay, so pic #1 is your pool skimmer (2 holes in bottom) one of which is probably the actively used tube as your suction line to the pump. The 2nd tube is probably never used. Often times it's just an equalizing line or never even plumbed. Regardless, the pump tries to pull water from the pool but it doesn't seem to go anywhere then pours right back to the pool. In pic #2, there appears to be a 3-way valve just after the pump. From the pic, I can't tell if that valve is connected to the same line after the pump, or part of another line/tube. Because if it's connected right after the pump, it looks like it may be closed. As for the warped pump "pre-filter" basket, it's not ideal, but I doubt that has anything to do with your water flow. Since you are pulling water in from the pool, I would try opening one valve at a time "after" the pump to see if that has any effect on water flow. Perhaps a valve is closed after the pump which is preventing flow back to the pool returns.

I went to the pool equipment and started playing with the valve's. Turns out the the manual valve towards the top was fully up. As soon as I moved it downwards the pump filled up with water and all was good again. See the pictures. Let me know if this makes sense? I sincerely hope it wasn't deliberate by my old pool company.

Now that I'm thinking about it, it's been about 2-3 weeks since this must have been inoperable. Do you recommend that I do anything to the pool water? It's cold hear now (relatively speaking high 70, low 45) so there hasn't been any swimming in the pool for over a month. Thanks again!

Turns out my image quota was reached, so look at the pics here: Photos by Jeremy Marks - Google Photos

As long as your pump is still working after all of that, you're in good shape. Perhaps now it's just time to confirm your water chemistry. If you don't have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit, I would highly encourage getting one of those right away. Taking care of the water is a breeze with the right kit. Most pool store kits and test strips are inadequate, and free testing at the pool store usually causes more harm than good. There's a link below in my sig where you can order either test kit. I personally use the TF-100 (w/ speed stir) and love it. Best thing I ever did for my pool. Glad you're up & running again. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.