Clean pool basket

Aviv

Aug 21, 2023
Aviv1122
Hello, When I want to clean my pool pump basket, I set the pool pump to "service" mode. However, when I open the cap of the basket, water flows from the basket non-stop. Why is water flowing from it while the pump is in "service" mode? What should I do?
Btw - I also have the pump boosterIMG_7651.jpegIMG_7650.jpegIMG_7649.jpegIMG_7648.jpegIMG_7652.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, When I want to clean my pool pump basket, I set the pool pump to "service" mode. However, when I open the cap of the basket, water flows from the basket non-stop. Why is water flowing from it while the pump is in "service" mode? What should I do?
Btw - I also have the pump booster
Adding more photos of what I have hereIMG_7674.jpegIMG_7675.jpegIMG_7676.jpegIMG_7677.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
A,

When you open the pump basket, all the water in the filter, which is higher, will try to run out of the pump's basket area..

I believe that call it "gravity"... :mrgreen:

You want to move the MPV valve on your filter to "Off" or "Stop", before you open the pump lid.

I am assuming your pool is lower than your equipment pad, which is the normal configuration.

Thanks,

Jim R.

When you open the pump basket, all the water in the filter, which is higher, will try to run out of the pump's basket area..
Both of mine always drained both directions away from the pump,

I suspect the pump is below the pool water level or there is a pressure side leak allowing air to enter there so the water can drain from the pump. Otherwise it would suck air from the open pump and return the water to the pool.

If the filter is airtight, water shouldn't be able to drain from it into the pump.

I have the same issue because my pump is lower than my pool skimmers. Yes, that gravity thing, but from the other direction. And I have no handy valve to stop the flow, so I have to plug my skimmers to empty my pump basket. A minor PITA but hairnets in the skimmers reduce the frequency.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.