flpoolmom

Aug 8, 2010
Tampa, Fl
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
First of all, I have been a loyal TFP practioner since we built our pool in 2010.
I think this is my first post.

I live on the water in Tampa Bay and our entire yard flooded and was underwater for hours. I evacuated so am not sure how long it lasted but from photos and videos, I suspect at least 6 hours. My pool is now black. See pictures. A neighbor whose pool looks similar said his needs to be drained and acid washed.

I returned yesterday to find that my husband (he didn't evacuate) had turned on the pool pump at some point and it stopped working so now I can't even start the process.

I am waiting for our equipment service company to come look at/replace the pump but is there anything I can do in the meantime? I thought maybe there were companies that could pump the pool? I have called a few other service companies and everyone is so busy, I am not reaching anyone.

I can't even see what is in the pool. There were dead fish in all the yards nearby and I dread finding out what is in there.

Attachments

• Pool 371503260_827143805613028_5847764981003540589_n.jpg
    Pool 371503260_827143805613028_5847764981003540589_n.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Pool 371513349_149013421586981_8996249454915842395_n.jpg
    Pool 371513349_149013421586981_8996249454915842395_n.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 27
There are risks to draining a pool in areas with a high water table. However if fresh water is plentiful I would drain the pool and immediately refill it. I see no reason to do an acid wash.

You don't know what type of chemical soup got flooded into your pool and there may be chemicals that chlorine will not remove. I would want to restart with fresh water.

While you are itching to do something I think you have to wait to get your pool equipment operational, then drain and refill, then get the chemicals in balance.

What is the water supply you would refill the pool from?

What is the pH, TA, CH of the fill water?

You know the fill water is free of iron and other metals?

If you don't want to drain then a No Drain Water Exchange may freshen the water before you SLAM Process it.

Read Draining - Further Reading

You can pour a few gallons of liquid chlorine into the water and stir it in with your pool brush and see if it makes a change.

Last edited:
Reactions: proavia
I suspect the pump probably got wet with the flooding. Your husband may have tripped the breaker when he tried to run it while wet. You might let it dry, check the breaker, and try again. If you or your husband are somewhat handy, maybe remove the pump motor cover and blow some air in there to help it dry. Might be worth a try.

Reactions: Bperry and Newdude
I feel your pain @flpoolmom I'm in St. Pete and dealing with aftermath. Chlorine, chlorine, chlorine. At least get that working on killing off the bad stuff. Follow @Bperry advice. Scoop what you can. Just in cooling off from a session of that. Will be back out there to do more. Even tho' pump isn't working, can rent a submersible pump from Home Depot/Lowes for $50 a day. Pump out bad stuff. I'm doing 25% and then filling with hose. Test chemicals to ensure there is enough chlorine. Probably also will need muriatic acid. So far, I've added 1.5 gallons over the past few days. You'll probably need to repeat this cycle a couple of times. Hopefully you'll find a company soon to help. Best of luck!

I feel your pain @flpoolmom I'm in St. Pete and dealing with aftermath. Chlorine, chlorine, chlorine. At least get that working on killing off the bad stuff. Follow @Bperry advice. Scoop what you can. Just in cooling off from a session of that. Will be back out there to do more. Even tho' pump isn't working, can rent a submersible pump from Home Depot/Lowes for $50 a day. Pump out bad stuff. I'm doing 25% and then filling with hose. Test chemicals to ensure there is enough chlorine. Probably also will need muriatic acid. So far, I've added 1.5 gallons over the past few days. You'll probably need to repeat this cycle a couple of times. Hopefully you'll find a company soon to help. Best of luck!
Harbor freight has decently size pumps for purchase for $100-$200. Depending on how long you might need it.

I bought a sister of this 1.6 HP monster for under $100. Its more than capable of helping now but just small enough it will work on lesser projects down the road too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.