yet another DFW pool build thread

they started stonework for the retaining walls yesterday and put the fire pit in the wrong place. about 2' further up than where we wanted as they put the gas stub up through the patio in the center of the pit instead of in one of the side walls. PB indicating it may not be possible to re-locate now with the mortar, etc.. they've already placed on the pool decking. they are willing to extend the retaining wall further as we were going to utilize it as seating around the pit. I asked them to complete the walls first and then we'll decide on the fire pit resolution..

Wow, it is crazy how much more spacious it looks with the decking! Very nice! And I love the various umbrella location options. We wanted to do a few sleeves, but we are doing travertine. I am not sure it is as easy but I am going to ask.

Looks great with all the decking! You're going to like the sleeves. We *only* have 8, and they are very useful. Nice to be able to plunk an umbrella in where you want it depending on where the sun is at the moment.

that's the theory at least.. we'll likely utilize one to act as a DIY pvc tree/towel holder that we can stick in the deck when we need to and get it out of sight when we don't

so the PB isn't happy with how the back edge of the gunite shell extends beyond the coping (referenced earlier) and is wanting to put two pieces of coping back-to-back with a mortared seam in the middle in order to alleviate that. I think it might look good depending on the skill of the stone crew and if they're able to make the seam line up from piece-to-piece. We'd likely do the same for the caps on the retaining/seating walls and the fire pit as well but not sure we want a full 18" (coping comes in either 9" or 12" deep) on top of the seating walls as I'm not sure how a 5-6" overhang on the backside would look. We don't want more than 2-3" overhang on the front or it'll cut into our walkway between the wall and firepit in some spots.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
got the equipment installed today (well, at least the filter and pump). We got couplers around the pump which we asked for and appear to have left me plenty of room. Doesn't look like the deep heat plumbing we had agreed on got done so I've got a call into the PB on that. was hoping for Jandy neverlube valves as well but appear to have gotten the Pentair ones. I'll ask the PB about that as well.

I've asked for stuff to be labeled to ensure our 2 shelf bubblers were run independently as well as the 2 skimmers. anyone got a best guess on these pipes based on the valves/plumbing?

so I mentioned to the guys this morning that we may or may not add a heat pump down the road. It looks like the best location would be where the filter is now and move the filter over to the open spot to the left of the pump?

so it's pump->filter->(potential) heat pump->salt cell->returns. If I wanted to add a heat pump as its currently laid out I'd have to run a pipe from the filter all the way to the empty spot on the left side (where the heat pump would sit), and then all the way back to the return side?

my only thought is that moving the filter to the left side w/o the heater in place (and maybe never getting it) might introduce a couple of more 45/90 and a longer pipe to connect from the filter to the return side.

a rather depressing thread bump.. we're STILL waiting on plaster after digging in June.. finally got the stone work wrapped up recently and I plan on installing the fire glass in the pit hopefully tonight or tomorrow. I'll post some pics when I do in order to keep some mental sanity after this mess..

they are going to come back out and add the 'deep heat' plumbing at the pad in case we ever add a heat pump.

we might be FINALLY getting plastered today or tomorrow.. I've got milk jugs ready to run the hoses through when filling.. apart from double checking the color before they start am I missing anything else? really looking forward to the 2x daily brushing in the middle of December when we dug in June but just want these guys out of the backyard at this point.

Checking for the correct color and any extras you asked to be added to the plaster is your only "jobs" for this point.

Do you have your test kit yet? If not ask your PB which one he is giving you. Let us know and we can help you fill in any holes.

Kim:kim:

plaster crew has arrived and there's actually color on the gunite shell.. been a LONG time coming..

already have the K-2005 and have been using the K-1001 to maintain the FC and pH in the standalone hot tub for a few months now so should be good to go hopefully

the bottle of EasyCare Startup-Tec that the plaster guy poured in the bottom of the pool right as he was adding water appears to have still settled in on the bottom.. hopefully not staining the plaster but I'll for sure be taking a picture of it in the AM

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.