Help - Motor is very loud and need to disconnect it for service

Jul 15, 2015
Phoenix
I bought the house in May and felt the motor was loud when running on high and now it's apparent something is wrong. The motor is so much louder and there is a high pitch whining sound when it is running. The guy at the pool store said it could be the bearings but I don't know.

So, he said I could take it in but I don't know how to disconnect it. Or should I have someone come out to the house and service it there? I included pics and the manual, which didnt describe much, for assistance. Thanks in advance.

* [Motor Pics](Pool Pump - 2EZ Speed by US Motors - Album on Imgur)
* [Install Guide PDF](http://www.usmotors.com/~/media/USMotors/Documents/TechDocs/Manuals/2EZ_Manual.ashx)

The band of your pump comes off by undoing the plastic nut on that band being the basket. It will slip off and the motor and face plate will pull out straight back. You can either disconect the electrical at the rear of the motor or at the controller. You can do it! Make sure all electricity is off at the circuit breakers. Re comment us if you need more help. Bearing jobs are best done in a shop.

Based on the age, condition and hp of the pump, I would consider replacing the pump rather than put the time and money into rebuilding this one. It's probably way overpowered for your pool unless your pool is huge.

I would suggest one of the new smaller variable speed pumps. They're not much more than a two speed pump, they're quiet, they can be set to the optimum speed for the conditions and they are very efficient.

Based on the age, condition and hp of the pump, I would consider replacing the pump rather than put the time and money into rebuilding this one. It's probably way overpowered for your pool unless your pool is huge.

I would suggest one of the new smaller variable speed pumps. They're not much more than a two speed pump, they're quiet, they can be set to the optimum speed for the conditions and they are very efficient.

My pool is roughly 11,000 gallons. I used a web site to calculate my volume based on length, width and 2 depths. Given that it is that small of a pool do you still think my pump is too powerful?

- - - Updated - - -

The band of your pump comes off by undoing the plastic nut on that band being the basket. It will slip off and the motor and face plate will pull out straight back. You can either disconect the electrical at the rear of the motor or at the controller. You can do it! Make sure all electricity is off at the circuit breakers. Re comment us if you need more help. Bearing jobs are best done in a shop.

Thanks OldPoolMan, I will be attempting this tomorrow and will keep the post updated. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.