Filter Leaking

806pool

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2015
So. Cal.
So i noticed my filter leaking today. Its the one in my sig and id assume its about as old as the pool...late 80's. Do i need to replace the whole top piece or can i replace just an o ring? Its coming out of the pressure relief port....like its not turning off all the way, so i assume an o-ring in there is bad.

Here is a pic:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 57
Can you tell if the leak is coming from the fitting on the top of the filter or the base of the black assembly where it meets the tan filter body? In the picture, it looks like it's coming from the top due to the moisture all the way to the top, but maybe that's because of some maintenance you were doing. If it is coming from the base of the assembly it might just be an o-ring issue there.

I would take the whole assembly off and inspect the bottom o-ring where it mounts to the filter body and the o-ring between the manual air relief valve. If either of those look cracked or worn, replace. If they look OK, then dry them and apply a light coating of teflon based grease such as Magic Lube and reinstall them.

Part numbers look to be DEX2420Z8A for the lower body o-ring and CCX1000V for the air relief valve + o-ring. You probably have or have seen the manual with parts at http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/Parts%20Diagrams/Pro-Grid.pdf

Yeah its leaking out of the manual relief valve. I pulled the entire assembly off the main housing, but didnt see or realize that the actual valve separates from the manual relief valve assembly. Ill pull it off tomorrow again and look a little closer. Its like the valve doesnt just all the way...kind of like a leaking hose bib.
Thanks for the link with part numbers and diagram!

The Magic Lube you mentioned....is that something you can pick up at home depot or lowes? Id imGine its the same stuff to use on the main o-ring when doing a filter cleaning?

Thanks!

I got my Magic Lube through Amazon. Not sure about local store availability.

Amazon.com: Aladdin Magic Lube 5oz Teflon Lubricant / Sealant 631: Patio, Lawn Garden

Looks like Home Depot has a product called Super Lube that's likely the same thing as it's PFTE based as well.

When using these greases, I prefer to call it "conditioning" the o-ring rather than lubricating. It only takes a very thin layer to help keep the rubber flexible while providing a little bit better seal.

You'll definitely need to lube the o-ring, probably replace it (if it's old and hasn't been lubed), if the handle is damaged, might need to replace both.

So replace the o-ring and lube it, 80% chance of stoppage, and it's cheap.

If you need to do the handle to, you can do it later.

You can debug and figure out the source, which I guess is correct. I find that if I can replace the o-ring, I do, because I hate getting lube on my hand, so if I'm going to do it, it's with a fresh ring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.