pentair filter, leaking o-ring

crackers8199

Bronze Supporter
Jun 5, 2014
Lake Elsinore, CA
how immediate of a need is replacing a slightly leaking o-ring on a pentair filter?

i just noticed this morning that the filter is leaking from under the clamp: i did take it apart this past weekend to clean it, and either must not have seated it correctly when putting it back together or not gotten enough lube on it...either that, or i need to replace it (which is also possible, as it's about 8 years old). i'm going to take it back apart at lunch and get a good coating of lube on there, but if that doesn't stop the leak and i end up needing to replace the o-ring: can it wait until tomorrow? i could run to leslie's this afternoon and get a new ring, but they are charging $51 for something i can get on amazon for $20 and have delivered tomorrow...is there any harm (aside from the water loss) to leaving it alone and leaking for 24 hours until i can get a new ring from amazon, or do i really need to spend the extra $31 and go get a new ring today?

Are you sure the band is just not tight enough??

They sound like you are killing a pig when you get down to where it needs to be... :mrgreen:

In any case, I don't see it as any kind of emergency. Depending on how bad a leak, it may let the filter and pump drain down when the pump is off.

Thanks,

Jim R.

• Haha
Reactions: crackers8199

Are you sure the band is just not tight enough??

They sound like you are killing a pig when you get down to where it needs to be... :mrgreen:

In any case, I don't see it as any kind of emergency. Depending on how bad a leak, it may let the filter and pump drain down when the pump is off.

Thanks,

Jim R.

LOL, yep. i always make sure i tighten it down enough...i know exactly the sound you're speaking of.

how immediate of a need is replacing a slightly leaking o-ring on a pentair filter?

i just noticed this morning that the filter is leaking from under the clamp: i did take it apart this past weekend to clean it, and either must not have seated it correctly when putting it back together or not gotten enough lube on it...either that, or i need to replace it (which is also possible, as it's about 8 years old). i'm going to take it back apart at lunch and get a good coating of lube on there, but if that doesn't stop the leak and i end up needing to replace the o-ring: can it wait until tomorrow? i could run to leslie's this afternoon and get a new ring, but they are charging $51 for something i can get on amazon for $20 and have delivered tomorrow...is there any harm (aside from the water loss) to leaving it alone and leaking for 24 hours until i can get a new ring from amazon, or do i really need to spend the extra $31 and go get a new ring today?
A good coating of lube just means that the O ring is shiny with not a lot of excess globs. When you feel the ring, does it feel round or slightly V shaped? Is it still soft enough for you to be able to compress it by hand a little? Are there any cracks in it? Small leak for 24 hours? Not an issue.

A good coating of lube just means that the O ring is shiny with not a lot of excess globs. When you feel the ring, does it feel round or slightly V shaped? Is it still soft enough for you to be able to compress it by hand a little? Are there any cracks in it? Small leak for 24 hours? Not an issue.

i just ended up buying a new one on amazon and will change it out tomorrow regardless. it's 8 years old, i don't think replacing it is a horrible idea even if it doesn't truly need it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.