Houston, TX Pool Build Diary - From Design to Dive-In

At least you "own" the fact it was all you. Glad you went out when you did to stop them. I would gift them something good so they KNOW it was not their work. Care to share a pic and explain what you did not like?

Hey the wall DOES need to hold a cup. Now fill it up and make sure the liquid does not cause it to tip. Got to save your head! LOL

kim

When we change our minds like that, do we have to pay for the cost of the stone change? If that happens, do you keep all of that flagstone? How does that work? Pictures please!

[emoji485][emoji481][emoji483] Check all the potential different size plasticware with liquid in them to be sure all of them feel stable. Then, maybe try to jump up & down and shake the ground, splash water, etc just to make sure the vibrations and water from the spa when it is all functioning wouldn't cause any issues. Be sure to video all this testing and attempts to recreate the potential for spillage here so we can evaluate if it was done properly. [emoji12]

Built in coasters/cup holders with a little lip to stop drinks from sliding could have potential too.

Edit: Amended to say plasticware - which is what I was picturing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL at all the responses about the beverage testing.

As for the flagstone, the issue we have is that in our design because we're semi-geometric and very modern, the variation of flagstone just looked a little out of place to us. It also wasn't as thick as we would have liked ideally. Nothing was even mortared on them yet. We met with the builder today and we discussed options. We'll eat the cost on the flagstone and possibly use it as stepping stones in the landscaping. Something like this:

As a possible solution, he pointed us to a place called stonecreekpavers.com . They do a wide range of cast stone (ie concrete) standard size pavers, capstone, etc... and can also do custom work. They have a standard 2 1/2" wall capstone that we are going to look at. They do several standard colors, but they just added in January a color called graphite which is pretty dark and I think will be perfect for our needs. Pricing is not too bad at around $10/sq foot with the softened edge option (called pencil edge).

Because they also do custom work, we are going to look at this for the floating steps. We had a bit of a disconnect with the builder on these it looks like. The bid price was $3800 for the step option and we assumed that this included a hefty materials allowance. We had trouble tracking the material we wanted (bluestone), and ended up going back to our old landscape architect to find out where he got the original one we already had a as step for the patio. Turns out these are not cheap at 4" thick. We got a price of $750 for 3 of these from one company. Thinking we could do better on pricing, we checked with another and they came back at $1100.

This evidently was above the materials budget which as best I can tell was based on using standard available 2" flagstone slabs which is too thin. Then when we started looking at how these needed to be installed with a 4" step, the stone was going to have to be notched so that the half of it that you saw in the pool was 4" and the other half that looks like it is going through the bond beam had to be 2" so it just sat on the bond beam and would be level with the coping. I asked the cheaper of the two stone yards to quote on that notching and they came back at $1900 total cost for the 3 steps!!!!

The one upside is if we do the steps in the same color/finish as the capstone, then it will tie those features together nicely. The downside is that I really liked the idea of a natural looking stone material for this. It had kind of a ying/yang quality against the precision of the pool geometry. I think I am good either way though and the cast stone option if we like the samples we've requested is going to end up being MUCH easier to install, more inline with the materials allowance and also give a more uniform look to the steps.

plat.

Such a turn of events for sure! Talk about misstep! Glad you might have found a solution. Take lots of pics and share!

LOL on the drinkware talk.........hey we KNOW what is important in the end! If the wall will not hold a drink then it is NO good!

Kim

Hey Plat! Came across this thread and thought of you with the sealer. First Review - Dupont Stone-Tech Saltwater Resistant Sealer
First Review - Dupont Stone-Tech Saltwater Resistant Sealer

Looks like there are sealers that don't leave the wet look of you don't prefer it.

Thanks for that! Yeah, we'll make a decision on this eventually. I'm curious what color change you would see on stone sealed with sealer that doesn't leave a wet look when it actually gets wet? (How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?) Would it get as dark as unsealed stone when it gets wet?

plat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for that! Yeah, we'll make a decision on this eventually. I'm curious what color change you would see on stone sealed with sealer that doesn't leave a wet look when it actually gets wet? (How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?) Would it get as dark as unsealed stone when it gets wet?

plat.

Lol. Such a quandary. I'd guess not because the stone itself wouldn't be wet, just the outside sealant.

I think the only way to truly be sure is to get your hands on some samples and seal them to find out.

Been a while since I have had time to post. Work is nuts and also not much has happened. We've been stalled because of the rain in Houston for two weeks now. It finally just stopped last week. Hoping things get kicked back into gear again. We did get our spa tile applied to the sides. They are out there right now getting ready to finish the top. It's so purrrrrrdy! The lighting from this photo does not do it justice.

This is what it is supposed to look like once it's got water and good sun on it. The ones that look plain gray in our photo I assume will go iridescent and look blue in the right sunlight.

We're waiting on capstone samples from the manufacturer. He promised to get them sent out today (was supposed to be sent last week...). Once we can make a decision on those and get them here, then that should let things move towards final plumbing.

plat.

I was just thinking about your build yesterday and wondered if there was any progress. That tile is gorgeous!!! Wow!!

We have also been stalled by rain. They are supposed to be forming the deck today and tomorrow with inspection Monday and pour on Wednesday. More rain forecast here for Sunday through Tuesday. Hopefully, you folks in Houston don't get anymore. You all have had quite enough!

I was just thinking about your build yesterday and wondered if there was any progress. That tile is gorgeous!!! Wow!!

We have also been stalled by rain. They are supposed to be forming the deck today and tomorrow with inspection Monday and pour on Wednesday. More rain forecast here for Sunday through Tuesday. Hopefully, you folks in Houston don't get anymore. You all have had quite enough!

Thanks!

I should have posted this as well. The plumbing trenches have been filled with water and the frogs invaded. SO LOUD!!!! They were finally drying out and I noticed we had tadpoles!! I knew their fate though as the water was evaporating pretty quickly. Fortunately for them I have a soft spot for tadpoles. I went out yesterday about noon and sure enough, there was 1 sq foot of water left at the low spot with hundreds of them in it. I made a scoop out of a plastic water bottle and put them all in small plastic bucket. Pretty sure I got every last one. There is a small drainage channel close to us in the woods. I took them out to it and dropped them all in. The mosquitoes were on me like a chubby kid on birthday cake, but I made it out alive and so did they.

plat.

Plat - that spa. It is going to be breathtaking!!!

I have a softspot for creatures - except for snakes, spiders and scorpions!

I have saved all of those many times in the past and continue to this day except for Scorpions now. I have to share on this one.

So I used to just scoop them up and throw them over the fence into the forest. Even after my wife was stung. Twice. Then one nailed our dog in the nose when he sniffed it. From that day forward they got the Flip-Flop of Doom.

My wife's response the first time I flattened one after the dog got stung:

"I get bit twice and you save them, but the dog gets stung once and now you smash them?!?!?!"

She likes to tell that story.....

plat.

Plat, the water will really help the shine show up as it reflects the sun. That is such a classy color mixture for your tile!

LOL on the tadpoles! Been there, done that. Tadpoles turn into frogs for our otters to eat. CRUNCH! LOL

LOL on the scorpions! Lucky you lived through that one!

Kim:cat:

HAHAHAHAHAHA that is so my husband and I! You don't mess with our dogs! Flip flop of doom. lol

I have saved all of those many times in the past and continue to this day except for Scorpions now. I have to share on this one.

So I used to just scoop them up and throw them over the fence into the forest. Even after my wife was stung. Twice. Then one nailed our dog in the nose when he sniffed it. From that day forward they got the Flip-Flop of Doom.

My wife's response the first time I flattened one after the dog got stung:

"I get bit twice and you save them, but the dog gets stung once and now you smash them?!?!?!"

She likes to tell that story.....

plat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.