Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slick Walls

1. Back To Top    #1

Slick Walls

First month with my new pool. I was brushing the pool today. I noticed the wall was slick, almost slimy. Is this normal? Once I brushed it was fine. Water is clear. Numbers are good.
    10,000 gallon above ground. Somerset, NJ. City water. Hayward SP1580 Power Flo 1 HP pump, De filter. 8.25% bleach. TF100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Slick Walls

No, it usually means you've got some algae developing.

What are your numbers exactly? Define "good"??? How are you testing and how are you chlorinating your pool??
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, sounds like algae. Usually due to low chlorine in the pool. We need test results, more here on what we are looking for, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

FC 4.5
    pH 7.5
    cya 40
    TA 90

i use bleach. TF100 test kit.
    10,000 gallon above ground. Somerset, NJ. City water. Hayward SP1580 Power Flo 1 HP pump, De filter. 8.25% bleach. TF100 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

CC reading? I would go ahead and elevate your FC. Slimy walls/floor are a first indicator of algae.

6. Back To Top    #6

Cc 0. Just rechecked it.

- - - Updated - - -

The 4.5 was just before my nightly bleach addition.

7. Back To Top    #7

Okay, good sign!

Brush, brush, brush, (everywhere), and keep your FC on the higher side. You might have caught it in time.... Let's hope!

If I can't get in the pool, I always at least reach in and feel my sides. When I do get in, I always feel the floor, corners, and less well-circulated areas carefully. I have not had a "slimy feel" in eons, but I always check.

Keep a careful eye on CC and FC loss just in case!

8. Back To Top    #8

If you don't want to SLAM the pool now I would at least raise the FC to 10 and brush at least once a day to expose the algae to the chlorine. It is safe to swim with chlorine up to shock level for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart

Here is the process to slam, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Dupes View Post
    FC 4.5
    pH 7.5
    cya 40
    TA 90

i use bleach. TF100 test kit.
    algae on the walls can develop a biofilm that protects it from the chlorine, that's why brushing is needed. I brush my pool only once a week and I don't get any forming. how often are you brushing? I would brush it pretty hard and then do a OCLT to confirm. you may need a SLAM to knock it out, but would only probably take a day or two since you don't have much
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;