Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA high after refilling pool??

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA high after refilling pool??

Had fiberglass pool resurfaced and filled with regular city water. CYA is over 100. I did not use pucks, no stabilizer added, waht happened? How do I fix, refill again?.... Thanks
    10000 Gallon, Fibretech InGround fiberglass. Sta-Rite Posiflow II cartridge filter. Baracuda G3 suction cleaner in skimmer port. Pump is 1 HP because needed extra power to get H2O up to Solar Roof Panels which we no longer have.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: CYA high after refilling pool??

That truly makes no sense. There shouldn't be any CYA in city water. Please double check your mixing and lighting.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

there is no way just city water would have CYA in it.. where you able to see the black dot with the water all the way to the top?
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

Saw black dot all the way. Is it possible that the chemical is old and not useable any longer?
    10000 Gallon, Fibretech InGround fiberglass. Sta-Rite Posiflow II cartridge filter. Baracuda G3 suction cleaner in skimmer port. Pump is 1 HP because needed extra power to get H2O up to Solar Roof Panels which we no longer have.

5. Back To Top    #5

Did you fill your pool or did the PB do it?

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

you do realize that the scale is backwards, right? so if you see it all the way up it's <20
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by digidutch View Post
    Saw black dot all the way.
    This means < 20 ppm CYA (if crystal clear water, then 0 ppm CYA). So was this what you saw for the pool water? If so then you have 0 ppm CYA as expected. Why did you think it was 100?
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

OMG I must be crazy.I totally misread. Will test tomorrow again but I think I was stupid, glad though it it's low, which it should be.........
    Thanks for putting me back into the real world

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Will test tomorrow again but I think I was stupid
    absolutely not. Yours truly misread it the same way about 9 years ago and others have reported the same.

We are not alone, my friend.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

No need to retest city water for CYA tomorrow... Unless it's in the nature of a sanity check, of course ��.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes CYA is LOW, so now want to raise it. Can I use pucks I still have to increase balancer at this point. FC 2.2, CC 0, PH 7.6, TA 70

12. Back To Top    #12

Pucks do raise CYA, but a bit slower than if you added some granular stabilizer in a sock per the Poolmath calculator . Plus, you may find the sock method near a return jet is more predictable. If you plan for an initial target of 30, you will be very close to that target. For your 10K pool, that would equate to 40 ounces (2lbs 8 oz) of stabilizer in a sock.

- - - Updated - - -

To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, simply place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and suspend it near a return jet. You can squeeze the sock occasionally to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, it may take about a week for the CYA readings to fully adjust.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by digidutch View Post
    Yes CYA is LOW, so now want to raise it. Can I use pucks I still have to increase balancer at this point. FC 2.2, CC 0, PH 7.6, TA 70
    The trichlor pucks would be an awfully slow way to raise CYA, especially considering the amount of sun you get in your location. If you don't have stabilizer in the water, the sun will burn up your chlorine too quickly, and then the pool won't be protected against algae and other organics.

You should add stabilizer directly. Most people use the granular product, put the appropriate amount in a sock, and tie it up near a pool return, where it will dissolve over a period of hours to days.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks for all the info