chlorine drop

Aug 3, 2015
Plano, Tx
Hey guys,
Im kindof at a loss. My chlorine is dropping 1.5ppm overnight and around 5 during day. All other levels are perfect. I'm in texas and its very hot but didnt think it should drop that much overnight in a 12k gallon pool. I have a Hayward DE6000 filter which I thiink is overkill for my size pool and after I did a full cleanout it wasnt dropping at all over night but that didnt last long. Its only been a couple of months ago. Am I missing something that could be causing it?

Hello and welcome! If you performed the OLCT properly and failed, then you will need to SLAM per Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. Follow those instructions carefully to ensure success.

Might help for you to post a full set of results as well. What test kit are you using?

You may also want these pages as well:
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Poolmath calculator
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

For the OLCT per Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)
When performing the OLCT, remember that if must be done when the sun has dropped – no sunlight on the pool. About 8 hours total is recommended. Also, your FC level should be elevated more than normal. Staring FC could be close to your SLAM level, but no lower than 10. Anything less and you may not receive an accurate portrayal of FC loss (by percentage), even if it’s only 1 ppm.

Welcome to TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.