Elevated CC but no overnight chlorine loss

Jul 16, 2023
UK
Following on from my previous thread where i had CC (1-1.5ppm) and no obvious cause. It was suggested that I may have some algae hiding somewhere. Sure enough i found some in the creases of the liner. The water is otherwise crystal clear, just showing CC in my tests. I brushed thoroughly in the creases of the liner and dislodged the algae, it wasnt a lot but it was there. Ive maintained the regular brushing and havnt seen algae since.

I havnt had time to perform a SLAM and I believe thats why my CC is still above 1ppm? I did an overnight chlorine test last night and the results were:

21:22 last night

FC - 4.36ppm

05:30 this morning

FC - 4.02ppm

Is this indicative of anything? Should i still do a SLAM to bring the CC down? The no overnight FC loss, does that suggest that i have potentially remedied the initial cause of the CC?

Above ground pool, sand filter and all other parameters within ideal ranges on pool math.

Thanks.

In general, with no overnight chlorine loss I would say you're probably good for now. The elevated CCs could simply be due to lack of adequate sunlight to oxidize the CCs. I would maintain normal FC levels for now and monitor. If any of that junk reappears in the vinyl, then I would go right into the SLAM Process.

Your signature is blank though. Can you confirm which test kit you are using? You probably can't get a TF-Series test kit or Taylor K-2006C over there, but it would be nice to know. Consider updating that and all of your pool/equipment info into your signature for future reference. See my signature as an example.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Following on from my previous thread where i had CC (1-1.5ppm) and no obvious cause. It was suggested that I may have some algae hiding somewhere. Sure enough i found some in the creases of the liner. The water is otherwise crystal clear, just showing CC in my tests. I brushed thoroughly in the creases of the liner and dislodged the algae, it wasnt a lot but it was there. Ive maintained the regular brushing and havnt seen algae since.

I havnt had time to perform a SLAM and I believe thats why my CC is still above 1ppm? I did an overnight chlorine test last night and the results were:

21:22 last night

FC - 4.36ppm

05:30 this morning

FC - 4.02ppm

Is this indicative of anything? Should i still do a SLAM to bring the CC down? The no overnight FC loss, does that suggest that i have potentially remedied the initial cause of the CC?

Above ground pool, sand filter and all other parameters within ideal ranges on pool math.

Thanks.
What is your cya?

In general, with no overnight chlorine loss I would say you're probably good for now. The elevated CCs could simply be due to lack of adequate sunlight to oxidize the CCs. I would maintain normal FC levels for now and monitor. If any of that junk reappears in the vinyl, then I would go right into the SLAM Process.

Your signature is blank though. Can you confirm which test kit you are using? You probably can't get a TF-Series test kit or Taylor K-2006C over there, but it would be nice to know. Consider updating that and all of your pool/equipment info into your signature for future reference. See my signature as an example.

Thanks for the info, sorted out my sig.
What is your cya?
Approx 50 ppm. Palintest dot method.

Reactions: Texas Splash
You’re running right at minimum fc for your cya. This is asking for algae/issues. Target fc is 6-8 ppm.
FC/CYA Levels
Ideally you would target 8ppm or a scootch higher so if your daily loss exceeds the average 2-4ppm you’re covered until your next dose. You can try just running at target fc & see if that makes a difference. Also, clean your testing beaker/vessel with alcohol & see if that helps.
If the elevated cc’s don’t go away at adequate fc levels or you get cloudy water/see visible algae it’s definitely SLAM Process time.

Hi, I was thinking just that. Weather has been terrible here, absolutely chucking it down. Ive just finished off the last of a bucket of cal hypo. That will take the FC to approx 9.5ppm and moving forward I’ll be aiming at 8ppm maintenance level.

Incidentally, before upping the FC, i checked the CC and it was down to 0.73ppm. Water still beautiful despite the miserable rain.

Hi, I was thinking just that. Weather has been terrible here, absolutely chucking it down. Ive just finished off the last of a bucket of cal hypo. That will take the FC to approx 9.5ppm and moving forward I’ll be aiming at 8ppm maintenance level.

Incidentally, before upping the FC, i checked the CC and it was down to 0.73ppm. Water still beautiful despite the miserable rain.
Great 👍🏻- use liquid chlorine for daily chlorination going forward. Low ch isn’t a concern for vinyl pools but high ch is a problem for all pools.

Correct- no need. But yes, you do have a little wiggle room.
If you have vinyl selected in poolmath you will see it says ideal is as low as 50ppm & recommended is as low as zero. Switch on CSI tracking - you want your csi .3 or less.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.