Pesky CC number

Boomerbull

Aug 20, 2023
Eliot ME
About 9 days ago my CC spiked to 1.5ppm so I decided to SLAM the pool to get that number down.

My CYA is 40ppm, so I would add enough liquid bleach to get the FC to 20ppm at night, and it would drop to about 16ppm the next night when I would add more to get it back to 20ppm. Rinse/repeat for about 3 nights and then my CC hit 0.5ppm (slight pink after developer is added, but disappears after 1 drop). So I decided to give it another night to try for 0.0. Next night 0.5ppm again (same thing). After 4 nights of that I decided to give it the overnight FC loss test. It lost 0.5ppm FC so I decided I was done SLAMing.

After two days of adding no chlorine my FC hit 8ppm today for a nice swimmable level…. But CC is back to 1.5ppm!

No visible algae…… what gives? Should I keep SLAMing?

With your tiny pool volume, I would not be messing with all this trouble. Dump and start over.

CC is created by ammonia based contaminants being oxidized by chlorine. Those contaminants are typically human or animal waste (urine and/or fecal).

Reactions: proavia
So my dark secret is that my 1185 gallon “spa” is just an intex metal frame pool. The stupid drain has a small drip of a leak requiring me to fill about 10% every couple days. Which means I naturally lose CYA so I can’t be certain if I’m losing it faster than I should. My gut feeling is that I lost more CYA in the last 2 weeks then I should have.

What is that an indicator of if I’m losing CYA?

I don’t really smell chloramines, but I’m also not very sensitive to it.

What is that an indicator of if I’m losing CYA?

Ammonia contamination. But your CYA would be gone. Either way, the fix for that is to keep adding chlorine to break down the ammonia.

Or just replace all the water. Would be a good time to fix your leak as well. Long term water leaks lead to algae on the ground, insects, other stuff that’s not good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.