Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Green swamp

1. Back To Top    #1

Green swamp

Moved into a new house and the previous owner unplugged the filter pump two weeks before we moved in. I ordered the Taylor K2006 test kit and it will be here in two days. Get ready for some questions.
    Thanks
    13,300 gal; AG; Hayward sand filter model S180T; Hayward power flo pump 60 gpm; Hayward Aqua Trol salt chlorine generator; city water.
    Rusty

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green swamp

Kit on its way For now, consider adding about 1 gallon of regular bleach to the water each night just to keep things from getting too much worse. When you get your kit, post some good numbers and be ready to SLAM Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain.

More links to get you ready:
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    Poolmath calculator
    Pool School - Recommended Levels
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Congrats on the pool! You're off to a good start and you're in the right place.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Do I still want to add a gallon of bleach every night if I am running a SWG at 100 percent and on super chlorinate, or will that be too much?

5. Back To Top    #5

Actually, no need to run your SWG at that pace. Stick just with the bleach for now and save some SWG cell service life. When you get your test kit and start the SLAM, you will turn it off anyways. I would suggest giving the SWG a rest until you complete the SLAM.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds good thanks.

7. Back To Top    #7

Definitely turn the SWG off. It's much easier to get your pool SLAMed and then balanced just using liquid bleach, then turn the SWG on to maintain. The SWG requires some tuning itself with % and Pump run schedule so you want a good balanced pool where you can get reliable FC tests to tune in your SWG run schedule.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Just curious how much bleach you think I might need for the slam?

9. Back To Top    #9

You should go to the store and get at least 10 gallons (or more) to get started.

It all depends on your CYA level to determine your shock level for the slam.

Make sure you stay ABOVE the shock level during the slam.

I had a mustard slam once and I went through 39 gallons of bleach
    in a week and a half with a CYA of 70
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

10. Back To Top    #10

My CYA level is 55. I have a salt water pool. On the chart it shows my CYA needs to be 70 or 80. Do I have to raise to before I can slam or can I slam now. Ph was 8.0 I already got it down to 7.2.
    13,300 gal; AG; Hayward sand filter model S180T; Hayward power flo pump 60 gpm; Hayward Aqua Trol salt chlorine generator; city water.
    Rusty

11. Back To Top    #11

You do NOT have to raise it right now. Start the SLAM. Adjust your new (target) CYA after the SLAM. Good luck!

12. Back To Top    #12

I don't have a salt pool, but it would be easier to SLAM with the lower CYA level. Once the SLAM is complete, you can raise your CYA. You can SLAM at either CYA level though, you just might use a little bit more bleach if you raise the CYA now.
    16'x32' Inground Vinyl, 21,100 gallons, Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T 3.1ft Sand Filter
    TFTestKits, Pool School, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Chlorine/CYA Chart, PoolMath

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks I will start the slam.
    Rusty

14. Back To Top    #14

IMG_20150805_152035105.jpg

Here is a picture of what it looked like when I started.
    Rusty

15. Back To Top    #15

Ooooh weee! That IS green. You will have some great before & after pics.

16. Back To Top    #16

16'x32' Inground Vinyl, 21,100 gallons, Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T 3.1ft Sand Filter
    TFTestKits, Pool School, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Chlorine/CYA Chart, PoolMath

17. Back To Top    #17

It's like the grass just continues into the pool frame
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

18. Back To Top    #18

Eager to see those test results!!!

19. Back To Top    #19

OK here are some numbers. I am trying to keep the FC at 20.

8/5/15. 4pm. FC is 15. CC is 2.5

8/5/15. 8pm. FC is 10.5. CC is 2

8/5/15. 10pm. FC is 19. CC is 2

8/6/15. 9am. FC is 8. CC is 1.5

I have to work a 12 hour shift tonight. Should I turn the SWG on to keep the FC up or have the wife add a gallon every couple of hours?
    Rusty

20. Back To Top    #20

Teach the wife how to sample and use pool math That's what I did and she did great. Empowerment is the best tool

Do not turn the SWG on with elevated FC levels....there's evidence it could damage the cells.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast