I have a 30 ft above ground pool. I've added shock the many different ways I've been told. Broadcasting over the pool, in a bucket of water. In the morning I always have piles of it laying at the bottom of the pool. Pump running all night and a few sweeps with the brush before I go to bed. Can I add shock to an old sock like I add the stabilizer? Would that help?

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with robertmee, if you're doing things right most of the time the only thing you will be adding is bleach. How are you testing your water? Have you read pool school at the top of this page?

I'm sorry to tell you this but strips won't hack it here. You need a proper test kit to follow the methods here. It will save you a lot of $$$ in the long run. Either the TF-100 (ww.tftestkits.net) or Taylor K2006 (Amazon). The TF-100 is a better value. Until you get a set of test results with one of these two kits we can't tell you how to proceed. We need a starting point in order to give valid directions to the destination.

Losing some chlorine is normal. You lose it from sun and/or algae in the water. Stabilizer (Cyanuric Acid or CYA) take care of the sun. The remaining chlorine takes care of any algae. Usually. But if the chlorine level gets too low algae grows and then you wind up using a lot of chlorine.

If you add the shock you're probably adding to something besides FC. I don't know because I've never added "shock" to my pool. I'd stick with plain bleach until getting a test kit and a good set of test results. Until then, start reading up in "pool school" at the top of this page. Knowledge is power.

What are the ingredients of the shock you are trying to use? Most pool shocks dissolve very quickly and shouldn't be piling up on the bottom of the pool. Leaving undissolved shock on the liner will damage it. TFP advocates using liquid chlorine either the 10-12% concentration from the pool store or 8% sold as bleach from the grocery store, and we also urge pool owners to invest in a high quality FAS/DPD test kit. A good test kit is an investment in the life of your pool. Without reliable results from a high quality test kit you are only guessing at what your pool needs to stay balanced. Test strips are very unreliable. They do not give the precision needed to determine how to dose the pool. On a strip it gives a range result. Is the CYA 30 or 50? Is the chlorine 5 or 10? It makes a difference!

Laundry bleach? Won't it stain my liner? How do I add that and how much?

If the word "bleach" is bothering you, take a look at a jug of official liquid pool "shock" next time you're browsing among the pool chemicals. It's the same thing as laundry bleach, except for the fact that the liquid pool shock is more concentrated.

At the end of the swimming season, any left-over liquid chlorine from our pool chemical supplies goes up to the laundry room; we dilute it half and half with water to get down to the familiar laundry strength.

It's all the same stuff!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.