Typical new homeowner with questions...

jshawkeye

Jun 1, 2023
Bettendorf, Iowa
So I just bought a home that has a 300 gallon spa and a 20000 gallon pool. Pool needed a new liner upon opening so I started fresh there and decided to drain hot tub and start fresh there as well. Started out by going to pool shop that did liner but started asking questions when I was getting readings of 0 alkalinity with high pH... so I've been doing research and essentially have a few basic questions. As far as the spa goes... all I need to do is add bleach according to the pool calc correct? I don't need to be adding water trends spa shock or Sani chlor? Pool place is telling me to add sanichlor once a week and spa shock every time I use spa. Ive realized that sanichlor has stabilizer in it and my readings are currently off the charts of my test strips (I have a proper test kit that will arrive Monday). For the pool... my CYA level is approximately 90, and fcl is 3.... after reading this website I need to drastically raise fcl or drain part of pool and replace with fresh? Once I get my numbers in balance and finish off this $200 25# bucket of chlorine I was sold...I should be able to just use calculator and add regular liquid bleach to maintain my fcl levels correct? Also how often should I be using a non chlorine shock in both spa and pool? Thank you all for any help and I apologize for the multiple questions and run on thoughts...

Welcome to TFP.

Is your spa standalone or a spillover spa? Does it share equipment with your pool?

Yes you will need to drain 60% or more of your pool to lower your CYA to 30-40.

Stop using your tablets ASAP as they just add to your CYA problem. Using them after you drain will raise your CYA again and cause more drains. You can save the tablets for when you go on vacation.

Following TFP methods you never need to “shock” the pool or use non-chlorine shock.

Get your test kit and post your results and we will guide you from there.

Download PoolMath and get familiar with it.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Welcome to TFP.

Is your spa standalone or a spillover spa? Does it share equipment with your pool?

Yes you will need to drain 60% or more of your pool to lower your CYA to 30-40.

Stop using your tablets ASAP as they just add to your CYA problem. Using them after you drain will raise your CYA again and cause more drains. You can save the tablets for when you go on vacation.

Following TFP methods you never need to “shock” the pool or use non-chlorine shock.

Get your test kit and post your results and we will guide you from there.

Download PoolMath and get familiar with it.
Ok thank you. My test kit will be here Monday. I was talking about granulated chlorine, I also have tablets but I haven’t been using them yet. Pool and spa are separate they share no equipment.

Last edited:
For your spa…

Reactions: Mdragger88
The solid chlorine (which I assume is dichlor) will last forever if kept dry - no rush to use it up. Same with tabs- save those for your vacation if your cya can tolerate it at that time.
Do an Ahhsome purge of your spa then follow the guide AJ posted. (It’s pinned to the top of the spa forum also)
Pool Care Basics

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.